prebooking specialty dining - question about OBC

pepperandchips

Calling all experts! I am planning to take advantage of the discounted specialty dining by prebooking 3 dinners for my upcoming Freedom cruise. I was only planning two, but the discount makes one of the meals only $8.00, so I think it will be worthwhile to try all 3 restaurants.

That being said, I'm planning to prebook all of the meals for my cabin as well as my mother's cabin. Will the 20% onboard credit for the dining purchases be applied to my cabin only or will each cabin receive the OBC allotted for the value of those meals? I think it works out to $34.00 per cabin, so I am wondering if my cabin will receive $68 OBC or each will receive $34.00.

I know this is an incredibly specific question so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience!

Thanks very much,

Melinda

RCI likes to employ an element of randomness in their policies but I would expect it to be applied on a per cabin basis regardless of whether you charged everything to your credit card before the cruise. The onboard crew that applies the OBC would presumably be looking for "3 specialty dinners in the same cabin", if yes apply credit.

I've generally had good luck with the OBC resulting from the specialty dining discount...it's the OBC from our RCI Visa points redemption that has been hit-or-miss with us. On one cruise in particular we had been expecting $250 OBC from the credit card and it never did appear on our SeaPass account. Normally they say to check your account on Day 2 for your OBC, which we did...but it wasn't there. Having learned a lesson about this on previous cruises we had brought the email from the Redemption Center validating the redemption and they still didn't take care of it until we finally just blew up at Guest Services one afternoon. He finally looked at our SeaPass balance, saw that it was quite high and said, "...looks like you are having a good time..." and just gave us the $250 credit to our account. I don't think there was ever any official validation of the redemption at all....he just did it. I learned 2 things from that exchange. #1, they DO have the power to "take care of it" if they want to and #2, document EVERYthing. As noted above, once you get off the ship it is TOO late to settle any kind of OBC dispute.