Stateroom: what would you do

Matt

As many of you know, I booked Brilliance of the Seas for November 2015. Yay!

Thing is, I got literally the last inside stateroom and I noticed after booking it is directly below the main dining room.  This has me concerned about noise and being able to sleep.

I have two scenarios I can do:

1. Stay with what I have and bring ear plugs

2. Book an inside guarantee category K.  

The Cat K insides are about $100 more than what I booked but it looks like they are inside staterooms on higher decks.  But of course, it's a guarantee so I may end up still in a similar situation in terms of noise.

What would YOU do?

Hmmm....I have only booked a Guarantee room once. Can't remember what ship...but it was a ocean balcony guarantee. I'll be honest with you, I couldn't even tell you what the category was. I thought it was just fine. As I recall we were a bit aft...but other than that, I couldn't tell you any difference between that room and any other ocean balcony room I've ever had.

Interesting that the Guarantee rate is MORE than the confirmed rate. I thought generally Guarantee rooms were less than confirmed rooms. It may be, as you suggest, that the confirmed room was a lower category than any of the Guarantee rooms...which would suggest that you would end up with a better room, regardless of where they put you, right ?

What's the worst that could happen ? You end up underneath the Windjammer or the disco ?

I'm a risk taker. I would go with the Guarantee room and see what turns up.

For me 'the devil you know is better than the devil you dont'. I don't think I could handle not knowing, I'd be worried I'd end up totally aft or towards the bow. I'd rather ear plugs then motion, it might not even be loud. But that's just me.

Real question would be what does your wife think, if she makes the call then she can't blame you if it goes wrong. That would be the safest choice.

Real question would be what does your wife think, if she makes the call then she can't blame you if it goes wrong. That would be the safest choice.

She shrugged her shoulders.

The room I have now is Category N versus the GTY that is Cat K, so the higher price is because it's a higher category stateroom.

I would take the GTY room for the higher category. I personally would not be happy being right under the dining room and having my sleep disrupted. And since its only $100 I think it is worth it to switch.

It's just another $100 to spend.  That's a couple of specialty meals.  And there's no guarantee I'll end up with anything better.  Some say being under MDR is better than being under Windjammer or another more widely used venue.

Being under the dinning room is less of an issue than underneath the kitchen as the dining room is much quieter, especially with the carpeted floors, than the kitchen.

I've read other posts from folks saying the MDR has carpet so it's not an issue.  I'm still packing ear plugs :)

Matt, I see your point and in that case your right it is a couple of specialty meals so I would then stick to where you are. I forgot Brilliance got a refurb and now has restaurants. Anyway you will have a blast! When you come back I am curious to know what the exact menu for thanksgiving was so I am hoping you will share that with us.

You survived the centrum room on the Jewel with the live music; I think you'll be fine. We're just all uber planners, so we obsess over these things. :)

That room was awful in terms of noise bleed.  I hope it ends up being fine, but unless there is a price change in the next week or so, I'll stick with what I have.