I need Tips for the long flight from California to London

BigKarl

I have the unfortunate luck of either getting a seat near the young child that never sleeps and cranky or the 7 foot guy that bumps my seat back every 2 minutes.  I cannot afford 1st class travel so I am looking for Tips on how to survive the 9 hour flight.  Let me start by telling you that I do not drink alcohol so that method is out. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them!  :wacko:

Put some movies on an ipad or similar device.

Invest in a modestly priced pair of noise cancelling headphones.

Over the years I have traveled to/from Europe (and Asia) pretty extensively.

I would first recommend looking at your overall trip to determine whether you want to be trying to sleep or trying to stay awake. Europe is usually a night flight, but personally I find that if I can get to Europe tired and cranky it helps me get to sleep the first night which reboots my system for the rest of the trip.

If you load a handful of movies onto an ipad/tablet/laptop you can plug in your headphones which will block most of the noise and zone out for the flight.

I think I got a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones off of ebay about 5-6 years ago for under $100, still use them today :)

BigKarl,

I just did the same trek from SoCal to the Brilliance, so I can relate. Keep in mind that your international flights should have very good video-on-demand systems for entertainment; however, your domestic flights likely won't, so having entertainment for those is a good idea. To be honest, though, I took nearly 500 GB of entertainment with me and didn't view any of it on the flights as there were plenty of good movies on the VOD system for me that I had not seen.

I can't sleep on flights nor can my wife--fortunately my son can--so we had already planned on taking a nap upon reaching the hotel for a recharge, which did work. Others we met used sleep aids, but I fear using them, getting sleepy, but still not being able to sleep and opt against using them instead.

There are some interesting travel pillows on the market you might want to look into and for some ear masks and earplugs can make all of the difference. I'd also recommend hydration well, and getting up to walk every couple of hours unless you are actually able to sleep.

Have you made plans for getting to Harwich? That's quite a commute to get there and can be pricey if you haven't prearranged transportation.