Dress code

jenny corke

Hi. First time cruisers here. Loads of questions sorry.. is there a dress code for the normal restaurants eg the windjammer? And is the drinks package a must or can we just pay as we go? Also.. we werw told because we have already paid the gratuity in our price, this also includes the gratuity on any drinks we buy on board? Is this true. Thankyou. 

Welcome!

The dress code does not apply to the Windjammer.  Not being a particularly formal person, this is often where you'll find me on formal evenings.

The drink package question is a popular debate, and ultimately, it takes looking at menus and your itinerary, trying ti imagine what you might drink each day (including specialty coffees and such), and doing the math.  For some it's a clear decision either direction, for others it can be a tricky calculation.  If you do opt for a drink package, make sure you purchase it online ahead of time as it's much more economical.  You can find more info here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package

The daily service charges (which may or may not have been included in your booking, depending on various incentives bein offered or if you simply opted to prepay) is different than the bar service gratuities.  18% is added to each beverage purchase.  If you purchase a beverage package, then 18% is added to the cost of the package to take care of that for you (though check, as sometimes sales seem to include the 18% in advertised package prices, but not other times).

22 hours ago, jenny corke said:

Hi. First time cruisers here. Loads of questions sorry.. is there a dress code for the normal restaurants eg the windjammer? And is the drinks package a must or can we just pay as we go? Also.. we werw told because we have already paid the gratuity in our price, this also includes the gratuity on any drinks we buy on board? Is this true. Thankyou. 

These are really good questions to ask before you board, so you will be armed with better information prior. The Windjammer is an informal buffet, and is a great option if you want to stay in your shorts and flip flops. The Main Dining Room has a dress code, and it is loosely interpreted and enforced. Resort casual and business casual is fine on non-formal nights. There is one formal night on cruises shorter than 7 night cruises and two formal nights on 7 night cruises.

A good way to think of buying a beverage package is....1) buy online prior to your cruise on the Cruise Planner and watch to see if the price drops. If it does, it is very easy to cancel and re-book it at the lower price. Regardless, it will always be cheaper than buying on board...always. 2) consider how many ports are in your itinerary. If you have four ports on a seven night cruise, and it doesn't include Coco Cay or Labadee, you may not be availing yourself of the drink package while on board. So, I take the cost of the package and divide it by the number of drinks you think you will get either the entire cruise or each day. If that number is lower than the menu price plus gratuity, then it makes sense to get the package. If it is higher, than paying as you go would be more economical. A rule of thumb is that most mixed drinks are $12 and beer and wine range $6-$8. This post will have answers to more specific questions. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package

Some people get drink fatigue on some cruises, and while you may drink a lot in the beginning, you may not drink a lot near the end. It all depends on what you will want to do. So, it is worth it to consider that as well.

Pre-paying your gratuities compensates your stateroom attendant and waiters in the Main Dining Room and Windjammer...basically all complimentary restaurants. They work very, very hard, so getting to know them, and make friends with them, and remember their names for the survey you will be emailed after your cruise and giving honest feedback goes a long way. It really helps them, and some of my fondest memories on cruises are talking and laughing with the people who are there who make the experience so special. Your drink package cost includes a gratuity. You can always tip bartenders and wait staff more if you like. Sometimes, I give them a little cash in the beginning when I am getting to know them.

14 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

The Main Dining Room has a dress code, and it is loosely interpreted and enforced. Resort casual and business casual is fine on non-formal nights. There is one formal night on cruises shorter than 7 night cruises and two formal nights on 7 night cruises.

VERY loosely interpreted and enforced. "Formal" night in recent times seems to mean you should wear a CLEAN tee-shirt with your not-too-ratty jeans.

This doesn't mean everybody dresses in less than resort casual for the MDR, but there will be some.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, jenny corke said:

is there a dress code for the normal restaurants eg the windjammer?

I think the only no-nos on the windjammers would be shirtless guys and wet bathing suits.  For the rest of the places, it's casual.  Formal night is anything from t-shirts and shorts to button-downs and slacks to tuxes.  Pretty much whatever you feel like.   

On 11/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, jenny corke said:

And is the drinks package a must or can we just pay as we go?

as @monorailmedic mentioned, it depends on how much you're going to drink.  If you're drinking a couple of beers a day, I'd skip it.  I think the break even point for me is 3 umbrella drinks and a glass of wine at dinner, with the drink package bought before the cruise on the cruise planner sale.   If you do get the package, buy it before you sail