Dreamworks necessary for young kids to have a good time?

kpod

hello,

we are first time cruisers and just found out that the boat we were going to originally book (Indep of the Seas) doesn't have the Dreamworks characters.  Weird that although I specifically stated we wanted to cruise with the Dreamworks characters to the agents (THREE of them), none of them mentioned that Dreamworks wasn't available on Indep. of the Seas; just oasis, Freedom and Liberty....Luckily, a friend was diligent and called RC directly which is how we found out.

That said, kids going on this cruise are 5, 7 and 8 yrs old.  Do the Dreamwork characters/activities really make a difference than say, cruises that do not have this option?  Does it make it more fun for the kids as compared to regular cruises?

any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I don't have small children any longer but I can tell you that from an adult perspective, having the DreamWorks characters on board is an absolute joy ! You can run into them in completely unexpected places and it just lifts my spirits when I see one and they want me to take a picture or just give me a big hug.

I don't know if they kids like 'em but I can sure tell you that I do !

Is it a better experience .. assuming your kids like DreamWorks .... yes absolutely.

Is it a must have or the cruise wont be worth taking .... definitely not.

Basically you see the characters around the ship for meet and greets where you can stand with them and take pictures.

There are a couple of parades where all the characters go up and down the promenade with some fun music.

The sailaway party features the DreamWorks characters.

A lot of the kids on board activities will reference DreamWorks but the activities aren't really different as far as I can recall.

Better experience for kids yes, but Indy isn't a bad experience.

Is it a better experience .. assuming your kids like DreamWorks .... yes absolutely.

Is it a must have or the cruise wont be worth taking .... definitely not.

I agree, it's certainly nice to have the Dreamworks Experience and enhances the fun for kids but I think your kids will still have a blast without Shrek et al.

• 2 weeks later...

My son, who is 8, has been on 13 cruises, only four of them with Disney. Hence, the majority of his cruises have been without characters. He always has a good time and really enjoys Adventure Ocean and other activists around the ship. While it's a nice feature and one we'll be experiencing on the Liberty in January, it's by no means required for kids to have a good time.

I wouldn't change my plans just because the ship lacks the Dreamworks experience. If you like the other features of the ship and the itinerary, you'll be fine.