Spa Discount Bait and Switch

Supposedly, I get a 10% discount for a SPA treatment as a Gold member. BUT, Gold discounts are attached to your cruise card so can't be redeemed if you book ahead of time (and prepay) online via the Cruise Compass.  If you wait to book when aboard, everything is full of course (unless you want a shore day or something equally unmanageable).  I emailed RCCL to ask about this and was merely told "sorry for the inconvenience."  OK, I get that Gold people don't really get that much, but don't tell me I'm getting a 10% SPA discount when I'm really not.  It's just a lie.

I don't quite see this as a bait and switch, but it definitely is inconvenient. For what it's worth, I haven't had trouble getting appointments onboard the few times I've gone to the spa for services. You might also find other specials, including cruise planner sales, that offer a better discounts. 

All on-board offers loaded on your sea pass card are just that, on-board offers loaded on your sea pass card.  They are very clear about that, it's hardly misleading.  They've never claimed they are available before sailing.

I've had no issues using my C&A spa discounts for treatments but they have to be booked on-board because the on-board discounts only applies to on-board bookings.

1110109562_goldonboard.jpeg.8dfc5034184c1d2b97750bfe7108bf80.jpeg

It's really not fair to call it bait and switch.  If you booked a 30 minute $69 massage but when you showed up they told you they only offered 1 hour $119 messages,  that would be bait and switch, but that isn't what is occurring.

Like most reservations based activities including specialty restaurants and shore excursions - the early bird gets the best choice of times.  Just like specialty dining, if a diamond plus books it on board using their discount, there is a chance that all good times will be booked by people who booked it before sailing.  That isn't bait and switch.  That's life.

Here is the Gold Spa discount offer from one cruise I took:

878055203_goldspadiscount.jpeg.c6dd6a45e58ed35b689dbcb635638e23.jpeg

It very clearly articulates "Offer subject to available appointment times". 

I've had no issues finding a time to use C&A discounts.  Not always the time that would be my first choice, but that's because other people booked times before me. 

Spoiler alert - when you sail you may see spa specials in the cruise compass (*not combinable with other offers or discounts, applicable only on port days) .  Sometimes these special offers can not be combined with C&A offers and sometimes they are a better deal than the C&A offer.  It's all spelled out in the terms and conditions.

It's no different compared to a $19.99 oil change at Jiffy Lube (*includes 4 qts. of oil, does not include high mileage service or synthetic oil) or a free whopper at Burger King (*requires the purchase of another whopper at full price, not applicable in the state of Delaware).  There are terms and conditions but they are printed right there. 

Find the best discount at your disposal and use it, but understand it's not a blanket 10% off the best sale price combined with a port day discount combined with near the end of the cruise specials because the spa bookings have been slow on that cruise deal.

If you book before the cruise, there's often a discount associated with the pre-purchase.

Having to redeem the discount onboard is no different than Pizza Hut offering a discount on carry-out orders only, or the Gap offering an in-store only discount.

Matt's exactly right.  Sometimes the pre-cruise price, even if it does not include the 10% C&A discount, will prove to be less than the onboard price minus the 10% C&A discount.  It's all a matter of experience and finding out which price is truly the best offer.

Personally, I find the onboard port day special(s) to generally be the best deal.  Since this price is already reduced, you cannot combine any other discounts with it but overall it is still the best option (or has been for me, in the past).  I am D+ and I have never used a C&A discount b/c the onboard port day specials are always a better deal.

Live and learn !