Adventure 5 Nights 5/5/18 Repositioning San Juan to Bayonne

twangster

Just now, twangster said:

While I enjoyed traveling light I missed the quality that comes with a better camera.  I felt very limited and "threw away" a lot of pictures I wouldn't post on the blog.  Even some that I did post were marginally acceptable and as i look at them I find myself saying "that would be such a better photo with my real camera".  

I'm keeping the Moment lenses and I'll take them on excursions or to places I can't or won't bring my Nikon but I won't cruise again without it.

Totally understand. I have the luxury of "not knowing what I'm missing" and only knowing my phone's level of quality. Which is probably a good thing, or I'd be going into debt buying at least a micro four thirds body if not a full-blown DSLR, plus however many lenses, plus carrying bag, plus... ?

I do have to say that I'm a little less satisfied with the Moment Tele lens after using it last weekend to photograph / take video of my older daughter's final performance with the youth chorus she's been in the last 9 years. The edge distortion in many of those photos and video clips is a lot more noticeable than the pics I took on my cruise, with people on the edges of the pictures horribly blurred or distorted (maybe the lens needs a cleaning?); creative cropping was necessary (where possible) to clean up most of the pics.

50 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Totally understand. I have the luxury of "not knowing what I'm missing" and only knowing my phone's level of quality. Which is probably a good thing, or I'd be going into debt buying at least a micro four thirds body if not a full-blown DSLR, plus however many lenses, plus carrying bag, plus... ?

I do have to say that I'm a little less satisfied with the Moment Tele lens after using it last weekend to photograph / take video of my older daughter's final performance with the youth chorus she's been in the last 9 years. The edge distortion in many of those photos and video clips is a lot more noticeable than the pics I took on my cruise, with people on the edges of the pictures horribly blurred or distorted (maybe the lens needs a cleaning?); creative cropping was necessary (where possible) to clean up most of the pics.

The Moment tele is my least favorite lens.  They claim it's a "bokeh" effect.  I think that is clever marketing to justify the edge distortion.  

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 1:28 PM, twangster said:

Speaking of which...  here is the RavPower travel router I am trying on this cruise pictured beside an iPhone for scale.  I first mentioned this in the first post.

sHjxRoC.jpg

It has come in very handy.  The latest update to 11.3.1 on iPhone continues to have wifi issues.  When I'm on 'royal-wifi' my phones don't roam around the ship very well without disconnecting from the the wifi.  I first noted this on Serenade when I upgraded to 11.3 during the cruise.  After the upgrade I experienced more wifi issues.  I blame Apple for this, not Royal. 

With the above travel router and it's internal battery I can slip it into my pocket and wander around the ship.  My phones stay connected to it and I don't have to re-connect every time I wake up my phone. 

I've placed several wifi phone calls through it and I've scoped through it.  It seems to work well.

I’ve got the same device and love it.  I use it constantly but I have one issue that I’m wondering if you know the fix @twangster.  How do I forget a network without resetting the device to factory settings?  I had it connected to the hotel Wi-Fi but it remembered a previous connection to my hotspot and switched there chewing up all my data.  I can’t seem to find a forget network function.  I know there are obvious workarounds like changing the hotspot password but would like to try to find a primary fix.

4 hours ago, Larry Muster said:

I’ve got the same device and love it.  I use it constantly but I have one issue that I’m wondering if you know the fix @twangster.  How do I forget a network without resetting the device to factory settings?  I had it connected to the hotel Wi-Fi but it remembered a previous connection to my hotspot and switched there chewing up all my data.  I can’t seem to find a forget network function.  I know there are obvious workarounds like changing the hotspot password but would like to try to find a primary fix.