WOWbands in Symphony?

It's hard to say.  Symphony will likely have the new app and all the whiz-bang features RC has promised, but it remains to be seen if WOWbands or some other option will be there.

There's a RC media event next week in NYC that I'm going to, and I hope to get some light shed on the answer.

On 2018/3/8 at 10:29 PM, Matt said:

It's hard to say.  Symphony will likely have the new app and all the whiz-bang features RC has promised, but it remains to be seen if WOWbands or some other option will be there.

There's a RC media event next week in NYC that I'm going to, and I hope to get some light shed on the answer.

Thank you Matt.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm looking into my cloudy crystal ball and predicting no Wow bands on Symphony.  My money is on them leveraging NFC capable phones to put similar functionality into an app.  SeaPass cards will always be there for the foreseeable future so for those that want to lock their phone in the safe you still can.

Some hotels are doing this now.  You can access and load your key onto your phone just before arriving and use that to unlock your hotel door. 

It's a shame they had to brand Wow bands with the muster station.  That restricts the ability to re-use them and creates a lot of waste.  Carnival corp is going with their 'medallion' platform - a physical thing you must posses much like a wow band.  I personally believe that a virtual platform with nothing physical to inventory and distribute to guests is better in the long term. 

Looking forward to @Matt's trip to NYC this week and hopefully more tech reveal type details.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Carnival corp is going with their 'medallion' platform

I see Princess has delayed the rollout of Medallion bands for an undisclosed period of time.

I find it funny some people are upset about this as it was the "main reason they chose the ship". If your main criteria for choosing a ship is how you access your room you would think they have fairly low expectations for rest of the ship.

A quote from one poster:

"We skipped out on a Royal Caribbean trip to take a more expensive cruise on Princess testing out the Medallion experience. Not only is the Medallion not rolling out now, but Princess didn't notify us about it until 3 days after the date at which we'd incur a 50% cancellation fee. Absolutely terrible customer service on this one - I'm pretty sure I'll never step foot on a Princess line again"

22 hours ago, twangster said:

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm looking into my cloudy crystal ball and predicting no Wow bands on Symphony. 

Back in November, RC revealed their tech initiative and it looks like WOWbands are indeed a thing of the past.  

wow-band.jpg

You can watch the presentation here (about 33 mins in) https://www.periscope.tv/w/1yNGaVMWYnXJj