GTY room question

If this has been asked before I apologize.....  For GTY rooms, do they just set a block aside, then the ones that you see that is available on the website have not been booked at all?  Or do they have all rooms that have not been picked individually (you pick your room) shown and GTY rooms get what is left?  I hope that makes sense, I was just curious how it's done.  Like I said, if it's a stupid question my apologies, that is why I picked Gilligan as my screen name...lol.

47 minutes ago, Gilligan said:

If this has been asked before I apologize.....  For GTY rooms, do they just set a block aside, then the ones that you see that is available on the website have not been booked at all?  Or do they have all rooms that have not been picked individually (you pick your room) shown and GTY rooms get what is left?  I hope that makes sense, I was just curious how it's done.  Like I said, if it's a stupid question my apologies, that is why I picked Gilligan as my screen name...lol.

It's a constantly moving puzzle. No cruise line will go into the particular's.

Basically your question is too specific for a official response.

As was said above, it’s a moving puzzle. It’s based on demand and rooms that are leftover. There is an algorithm at play that is constantly shuffling rooms based on demand. Even when you get a room assigned using the bar code trick, there is still a possibility (not big, but a chance) that your cabin assignment can change. 

But one thing I think we do know, they will NOT set specific cabins aside for Guarantee use, they will base it on numbers sold. 

In other words the combination of cabins available will be a certain number when they have hit that number be it by cabin selection sales + guarantee sales, they will close that category for sales.  That is why you can be watching a sailing that has 10-12 cabins available and the all of a sudden the next day that category is sold out, seems awful strange, when that number hadn't moved for weeks.  Good reason not to delay when you can't make up your mind on which cabin to choose and keep putting it off.

Just my observation

3 hours ago, Gilligan said:

Rooms are not set aside for GTYs.  They use the leftover rooms that people haven't chosen (which varies from sailing to sailing).  It seems that once the number of available rooms in a category drops below some unpublished threshold, they offer both "you choose" and "we choose (GTY)" rooms in that category.  Once the number of available rooms drops below another unpublished threshold, they only offer GTYs and that category effectively disappears from the website.  To make things more confusing, the website is also known to not show all available rooms so there's no way to predict that they are approaching these thresholds.  If you book by calling Royal or by using a travel agent, then you may have access to rooms not shown on the website.

11 cruises, still in GTY.
Until 2023, we had the assisgnation several months before the cruise (for example, I already know the cabin of my cruise next September). But for 2025 cruises, no information.
For the 11 cruises, the cabin only changed one number because we were in B2B. We believe that Royal has moved the cabins closer to avoid a long baggage transport.