Using a cruise certificate

3 minutes ago, Smokey79 said:

If you need to reschedule a pre-existing booking to a different sailing date, can you use a certificate on the new booking?

We changed our Alaska cruise to a Canada cruise.  We had a change fee of $100 per stateroom.  No certificate was issued, it was just changed.

20 minutes ago, Smokey79 said:

Sorry. I received a certificate for 10% off a future sailing on my last cruise. Just trying to figure out if I can use it on one I have to reschedule or is it only good on a true new booking. 

If you are referring to a Future Cruise Certificate (FCC), then yes, you should be able to apply that to any sailing. However, take a close look at how your FCC is divided up. If it is broken down per person, then those amounts need to match the reservation you are trying to apply it to. During covid, they were allowing family members to combine and for one family member to use another's amount. I don't know if that is still allowed.

There are many types of future cruise credits and each has their own terms and conditions.  I would request the actual credit certificate by email to have on hand for reference.

I would also suggest tracking the application of any credits very diligently.  Request a copy of your Royal Caribbean invoice before applying the credit.  Request another copy of the invoice after apply a credit.

Should anything occur with the booking that you intend to apply this credit towards it will be challenging to track this credit without having all the documentation surrounding it.  In the case of a future price adjustment or if you ever decided to change cabin categories the manner in which they apply some of the credits makes it very easy to lose sight of them down the road.  In some cases all or a portion of a credit reduces the base cruise fare.  On the surface you will always appear to have the lowest cruise fare and they may not honor future price drops on that basis.  However if you back out the credit only then does the lower base fare become evident.  It can take some persuasion to get them to understand this. Should the future cruise be cancelled by you or Royal it can be very easy to come up short without tracking this credit diligently.

Having a lot of documentation before and after can be extremely valuable down the road.