Unlimited Drink Package - Harmony

Speggy

I'm considering getting an unlimited alcohol drink package on our cruise next year. I got a lot of information from this website and this article https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/drink-packages

I know that you cannot take advantage of it in your stateroom, but I'm wondering are there any other places that you can't use it? I assume all bars will let you use it. Specifically I'm wondering if the "robot bar" will let you use it during meals (normal and speciality). 

Also, the last info I read stated that RC was considering making everyone in the stateroom but the package. My wife is not a big drinker so I'm hoping I'll have the option to buy it just for myself. 

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Speggy!  I'm taking my first RCCL trip next year as well and one thing I'm good at is research.

AFAIK all bars on the ship accept the package, including the Bionic Bar last I have seen.  You can definitely use it for drinks during dinner, though a recent discussion here seems to point to service being somewhat slow when ordering a drink at dinner (at least in the MDR) and that stopping by a bar on your way to dinner and bringing the drink with you is a much better option.  You are correct that room service is not included, but you are always welcome to get a drink and take it back to your room to enjoy.

The line is doing a trial run on the "all or none" package purchase on a few sailings this year, no idea what they will do from there.  With any luck the push-back will convince them not to implement it fleet wide, but given Carnival and Norwegian both have a similar requirement I am thinking it is not a matter of 'if' but 'when'.

Currently, the Harmony is the only ship where they're requiring all adults 21 and over in the cabin to purchase the package. On other ships at this time while the "trial/test" is ongoing, there is no such requirement. As for where it can be used, there are no limitations beyond room service and a price cap. 

12 hours ago, DocLC said:

Currently, the Harmony is the only ship where they're requiring all adults 21 and over in the cabin to purchase the package.

Maybe not.  Although not formally announced by RCI (to my knowledge), a recent CC post from someone on Allure stated that if one purchased a drink package onboard, that all passengers over 21 in a cabin were required to purchase the package.  Apparently doesn't apply to pre-purchased packages.  Suggests that this change in policy is just around the corner fleet wide.

14 hours ago, Speggy said:

I know that you cannot take advantage of it in your stateroom, but I'm wondering are there any other places that you can't use it? I assume all bars will let you use it. Specifically I'm wondering if the "robot bar" will let you use it during meals (normal and speciality). 

The only place you can't use the drink package onboard is to pay for room service or for mini-bar drinks.

13 hours ago, DocLC said:

Currently, the Harmony is the only ship where they're requiring all adults 21 and over in the cabin to purchase the package. On other ships at this time while the "trial/test" is ongoing, there is no such requirement. As for where it can be used, there are no limitations beyond room service and a price cap. 

Sort of.  That test does not go into effect until September 30 https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/07/07/royal-caribbean-testing-new-unlimited-alcohol-package-rule-requires-all-adults-purchase

On our next cruise on Harmony we have two cabins.  My wife is listed in one cabin with my daughter and I am listed in another cabin with my son.  If they implemented this rule, would this be a way to get around it, since technically we are in separate staterooms?  I am not looking to scam anything, but my wife would never get the value out of a drink package, whereas I can (and do).  

50 minutes ago, JBC said:

On our next cruise on Harmony we have two cabins.  My wife is listed in one cabin with my daughter and I am listed in another cabin with my son.  If they implemented this rule, would this be a way to get around it, since technically we are in separate staterooms?  I am not looking to scam anything, but my wife would never get the value out of a drink package, whereas I can (and do).  

Yes, as it's based on the cabin assignment. 

18 hours ago, JBC said:

My wife is listed in one cabin with my daughter and I am listed in another cabin with my son.  If they implemented this rule, would this be a way to get around it, since technically we are in separate staterooms?

Correct.  That's how we usually book rooms too with our kids