Changing specialty dining reservation

BopRN

2 hours ago, BopRN said:

How can I change our Chops reservation to a different day? I only see a way to change persons or to cancel. Do I make a new reservation and cancel the other day?

You can't do it yourself. That's a real bugbear of mine. You have to completely cancel and rebook, which also means you will have to pay for the new booking immediately while your refund for the original booking can take several days or more to reach your account.

Also, you can't even see what alternative days/times are available until after you cancel, so you may find that there is no availability and, to cap it all off, someone else may snap up the times you've just released in the meantime.

However, I believe you can call Royal and do the switch over the phone or if you're using a travel agent they may be able to help.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:34 AM, FionaMG said:

You can't do it yourself. That's a real bugbear of mine. You have to completely cancel and rebook, which also means you will have to pay for the new booking immediately while your refund for the original booking can take several days or more to reach your account.

Also, you can't even see what alternative days/times are available until after you cancel, so you may find that there is no availability and, to cap it all off, someone else may snap up the times you've just released in the meantime.

However, I believe you can call Royal and do the switch over the phone or if you're using a travel agent they may be able to help.

Yes, financially your credit card will temporarily have both bookings but that's only a problem if you card is going to cycle before the refund comes through.  Most of the time there's no real effect on your money.

If you always do all your booking using the same person's account, you are correct you can't see available times until after you cancel.  But you aren't required to name everyone on a reservation so use that to your advantage.  Use your travel partner's account to check available times and book the new reservation, then cancel your reservation.

5 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Most of the time there's no real effect on your money.

Except when you bought it on sale and now it is no longer on sale. I thought about shifting the time on a reservation I had, but the price was quite a bit more than the Thanksgiving sale so I left it. When we get on the ship, I might pop by to ask if they have availability at a different time and make the switch there if so. For me, it was just a slightly different time so not a big deal if we can't. For someone who had a conflict, it would be a bigger deal. 

36 minutes ago, KJones said:

@jbrinkm I wonder if you could just call RC to change dinner reservations instead of waiting til you're onboard?

I probably could, but it was just a small shift and I decided I don't care that much. Just preference after thinking about it, not an actual conflict. Thanks though - great idea! Useful for someone else in a similar situation.