"The Key" questions regarding embarkation and disembarkation

VillainsGin

I have questions regarding the benefits of "The Key" for a 7 night western caribbean cruise on Icon of the Seas below.

Questions:

1. Do I need to still make an appointment time for embarkation or can I just show up as early as the ship allows customers to be boarded with no problem?

2. Will I be able to drop off my luggage immediately into my stateroom with the key or do I still have to wait for them rooms to be ready?

3. Can I disembark as early as the ship allows without waiting in a line AND what is the earliest disembarkation time if I have a flight to catch same day at 9:30am? (is this enough time to catch my flight.

These questions are all based on me having "The Key'.

Thank you ahead of time!

Regardless of having the Key you still need a check-in time for embarkation. If I recall 11/11:30 is "technically" when all the Key start boarding but 10/10:30 could be the earliest check-in

They will not allow you to drop off luggage to your room. Only Star class can drop their luggage off in their room. You will have the Key listed on the tags on any luggage you give to the porters, and they will keep your carry-ons, usually in the MDR until the rooms open. 

You can do self-assist and get off as early as possible. That doesn't really have to be a Key thing.  But a 9:30 flight is not advisable. Even if everything is smooth and the ship does get in exactly at 6am, they usually don't allow the "all clear" until 7. There have been times when it's even after 8am. Factor in traffic and rideshare/transportation times and you might not make it to the airport until 8:30. I believe Icon is out of Miami. Also keep in mind that boarding closes 30-45min before departure so you need to be at you gate no later than 8:45. Unless you have precheck and/or Clear on top of a perfect docking, you might miss that flight.  

18 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Regardless of having the Key you still need a check-in time for embarkation. If I recall 11/11:30 is "technically" when all the Key start boarding but 10/10:30 could be the earliest check-in

They will not allow you to drop off luggage to your room. Only Star class can drop their luggage off in their room. You will have the Key listed on the tags on any luggage you give to the porters, and they will keep your carry-ons, usually in the MDR until the rooms open. 

You can do self-assist and get off as early as possible. That doesn't really have to be a Key thing.  But a 9:30 flight is not advisable. Even if everything is smooth and the ship does get in exactly at 6am, they usually don't allow the "all clear" until 7. There have been times when it's even after 8am. Factor in traffic and rideshare/transportation times and you might not make it to the airport until 8:30. I believe Icon is out of Miami. Also keep in mind that boarding closes 30-45min before departure so you need to be at you gate no later than 8:45. Unless you have precheck and/or Clear on top of a perfect docking, you might miss that flight.  

Thank you so much for all the detail information regarding all of this!

Having me luggage free when I board the ship is exactly what i was hoping for. So when rooms are ready would I just go to the MDR to pick up my luggage or will they deliver the luggage for me from MDR to my cabin?

Someone told me even with the key you might have to personally drop off your luggage yourself at MDR to check in your bags rather than having the tags show they key and them moving it to MDR for you?

I will have to reschedule my departure flight back home to possible a later time to be safe then!

You should get an email explaining the key benefits and it will give you some information too that is specific to your cruise.  This is the email I received right before my Oct. trip:

Dear Guest,

We're excited to welcome you onboard soon! Before you set sail, we wanted to remind you of the benefits that come with The Key program.

Here's what you can expect on your upcoming sailing:

• Early access at the terminal.*
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 5 by 1:30 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00pm - 1:30pm). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc.
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports.
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal between 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM. If you're unable to make the early access window, you may arrive within your selected appointment time and you'll receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Voyager of the Seas in the coming days!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Items 1 and 2 are answered in replies to your post. I want to stress how important it will be to get off the ship as soon as you can to make that flight time...that is cutting it WAY too close. I would do self-assist and get to the debarkation point on board as early as 5:30 or 6:00 am whether the ship is alongside or not. The other thing I would consider is to change the flight to a later time if possible. The Key is pretty much worthless for what you are trying to do.

12 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Items 1 and 2 are answered in replies to your post. I want to stress how important it will be to get off the ship as soon as you can to make that flight time...that is cutting it WAY too close. I would do self-assist and get to the debarkation point on board as early as 5:30 or 6:00 am whether the ship is alongside or not. The other thing I would consider is to change the flight to a later time if possible. The Key is pretty much worthless for what you are trying to do.

Definitely will heed your advice and be ready at the debarkation point at 5:30 am and pray for the ship to be cleared as early as possible. Working on seeing if I can possibly change to a more timely flight, this flight was originally suppose to be 12:30pm but the airline updated it so 9:30am.

12 hours ago, VillainsGin said:

Definitely will heed your advice and be ready at the debarkation point at 5:30 am and pray for the ship to be cleared as early as possible. Working on seeing if I can possibly change to a more timely flight, this flight was originally suppose to be 12:30pm but the airline updated it so 9:30am.

Yikes. Good luck.