walking in San Miguel de Cozumel

happy cruisers 2

We've been on prior cruises that stopped in Cozumel, but never ventured farther than the shops at the dock (which didn't impress).  Now we're thinking we would like to get to San Miguel and walk, shop, eat, drink, etc. on our own for maybe 2 to 4 hours.  Questions:  Is it close enough to walk from ship to where we'd want to be in San Miguel?  Better to take a taxi? At what spot in town would you suggest starting our independent walk?

I'd suggest hopping in a cab, we usually get taken to Poncho's Backyard and walk back toward the ship, after we've had lunch and a drink and our fill of walking in the heat, we grab a cab back to the port.  I've also gotten a cab to the Mega Mart and walk toward Poncho's (not much past this restaurant).

It depends on which port your ship docks at!!!  Cozumel has three different cruise ship ports.

Most of the time Royal docks at the International Terminal where what the posters above said is true. San Miguel de Cozumel is doable, but a long walk.

Although rare, sometimes Royal ships dock at Puerto Langosta which is slightly south of Centro, the downtown area you are looking to get to. You'd be foolish to get a taxi if docked here.

The third port is called Puerto Maya and is owned by Carnival. You'll never stop here on a Royal vessel.

• 2 weeks later...

It is about 10$ one way for two people from the RC cruise port to down town.  It is a 3 mile walk.  I've done it.  Depending  on when you go, bring some water it gets hot.  Taxi ride is probably worth it, at least one way if not round trip.  There are tons of taxis down town dont worry about not being able to find one back. The area is pretty safe.  At least I felt safer there then in NYC.  Check out Coz Coffee.  They have great cappuccinos and lattes, and out door seats that are fun to sit at and watch the world go by.