Sports Area on Symphony

The sports area isn’t a free for all. It has specific activities scheduled for that space throughout the day. When they do offer an activity such as volleyball, they provide the sports equipment. You won’t find a time when the volleyball nets are up, but there is nothing scheduled for that space. 

You need to check with the activities director if they will put up a volleyball net for you in their unused free play time. I have seen the courts unused many days and people shooting hoops, kicking soccer balls, etc.. The ship has sports equipment and should be able to provide you with the volleyball. FYI, the activities staff is part of the cruise director staff and I would reach out to them as soon as you get onboard. Try asking some of the muster drill folks as the sports staff double duties in these positions and if none are there the ones that are can generally point you to one of them.

6 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

@Ryan79 & @CrznTxn Thank you!! I'll make sure to talk to someone about it. I know that volleyball isn't as popular as basketball and soccer, but it would be fun for us. My daughter plays on her school team so it would be interesting practice too.

While I know it's a country mile from playing actual volleyball on the court, they also offer pool volleyball pretty much daily in the sports pool.  They basically just set up a net and toss a ball in the pool and the let the guests work the rest out, but it might scratch an itch for you if need be!

• 1 month later...

My oldest is also an introvert and the best success we had on a cruise is when we connected with others around the same age on roll calls ahead of time. There were a few of us parents worried about our teens having fun because we didn't have the kind of kid who would just show up to a teen event and jump in. We discovered some common interests, and then met up before the actual teen meet up, and walked all together to register them for the program. We (the parents) had a WhatsApp chat going, and the teens ended up hanging out together a lot on that sailing - sometimes going to a teen event or other times just meeting up for one of the shows, or some pizza, or whatever. One family even decided to go with us to our Costa Maya excursion while they were on the ship.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:10 AM, Ryan79 said:

The sports area isn’t a free for all. It has specific activities scheduled for that space throughout the day. When they do offer an activity such as volleyball, they provide the sports equipment. You won’t find a time when the volleyball nets are up, but there is nothing scheduled for that space. 

Very true. My son brought his basketball boots expecting to shoot hoops 10 days straight. Was not to be. The seaplex was only set up for basketball for about four activities. The rest of the time it was a roller rink, dodgem car track, indoor soccer pitch, Pickleball and volleyball venue.