Liberty - Not a Great Experience

cruise-y

I thought hard about this before posting and then decided it would be better if I did.    There are a lot of things that RCCL does right (at the top of the list is the roomy JS cabin with the huge walk-in closet and the big balcony). But they really need to work on their shore excursions.  I'm talking about the western Caribbean.  

First, the shore excursion description needs to match what you are actually doing.  It can't be that hard to get right - it's just editing.  I choose my excursions (and pre-pay for them) based on the description.  I totally understand island sensibilities and a laid-back atmosphere.  Sometimes things don't go smoothly or as planned.   That is ok and I get that.  I've spent many months in the Caribe and love the people and places.  What I don't get is when the RCCL description says you are going to get a leisurely, indigenous buffet lunch in a shady tree-top cafe with great views of the mountains - but you end  up with a Styrofoam box on an outdoor picnic table next to a parking lot with a tiny piece of chicken, beans and a cup of warm fruit punch.  I also don't like when the description says the excursion starts at 12 but your ticket actually says 10:45.   That's a pretty big difference.  The description should include the tender time.

Another complaint is overcrowding. On one excursion, we sat on a pull-down bench in the very back of the bus, straddling backpacks, with no way to see out, because it was so overcrowded.  The boat to the event was also way overcrowded - there weren't enough seats and at least a third of the people had to stand up in the sun for the 45-minute trip there and back.  No water or refreshments were offered during the 5 hour excursion, which also included no breaks for us to even buy a beverage or food.  When we returned to the port, there was another hour wait in the sun in a long line to board the tender.   So nobody got lunch (or even water) that day and everyone's experience was bad.  That can't be good PR for RCCL.

And finally, safety.  On another excursion we took a bus to some minor falls.  The hike up was around a half hour.  The guide told us to leave all of our belongings on the bus, because we could only wear a swimming suit to climb up.  She said she'd stay with the bus and meet us at the top.   There were no lockers.  At the top, the guide got off the bus to greet us.   We walked the few feet up to the parking lot and the bus had disappeared.  With our towels, our wallets, our phones, our sea passes, passports, clothes, cover-ups, shoes, etc.  The guide looked shocked as the bus had just dropped her off 5 minutes before.  We wandered around dripping wet for at least half an hour, totally exposed and worried about our stuff.  Nobody knew where the bus was or when he'd be back.  Someone finally placated us by saying the bus driver had an emergency and had to leave.  What?  How could an emergency mean driving off with all our belongings just 5 minutes after arriving?   It was all very strange and disconcerting.   Was this RCCL's fault?  Maybe not, but it doesn't sound like this tour was very well vetted.

I've cruised a lot and the itinerary is important in my choice of cruise lines.  Having 3 bad excursions in a row with RCCL doesn't bode well.  Just saying.....

Please make sure that you share this experience on the post cruise survey. I also hope you addressed this onboard with the excursion staff as they're the most able to make these situations right (e.g., refund or discount). 

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been lucky with the excursions I've purchased through Royal, but know that the descriptions don't always line up well with what is actually delivered. 

15 hours ago, DocLC said:

Please make sure that you share this experience on the post cruise survey. I also hope you addressed this onboard with the excursion staff as they're the most able to make these situations right (e.g., refund or discount). 

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been lucky with the excursions I've purchased through Royal, but know that the descriptions don't always line up well with what is actually delivered. 

Yes I compained in the post cruise survey but never heard back of course.  Thanks for noting that. 

I didn't complain on the ship, because I had seen so many people in line at the service desk griping about petty things and I just didn't want to add to that.  I was on vacation and just wanted to relax and not dwell on it.  Thank you Doc!

2 hours ago, cruise-y said:

Yes I compained in the post cruise survey but never heard back of course.  Thanks for noting that. 

I didn't complain on the ship, because I had seen so many people in line at the service desk griping about petty things and I just didn't want to add to that.  I was on vacation and just wanted to relax and not dwell on it.  Thank you Doc!

Appreciate the honesty. If this is going to be a honest site, which I believe it is, we need it hear all of it, warts and all. Everybody should tell it like it is and let the readers determine how and if it affects them. Sorry you had that experience and hope you were able to get past it and enjoy the rest of your cruise. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, FManke said:

Appreciate the honesty. If this is going to be a honest site, which I believe it is, we need it hear all of it, warts and all. Everybody should tell it like it is and let the readers determine how and if it affects them. Sorry you had that experience and hope you were able to get past it and enjoy the rest of your cruise. Thanks again!

I think the room service thread proves how honest we can be. ;)

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

We need more of that. Honesty should not be one sided.

That sounds like a dare. ;)

I will say that after recently sailing Princess, I've found a lot to praise Royal for, but also areas where I know they can improve. 

18 hours ago, DocLC said:

That sounds like a dare. ;)

I will say that after recently sailing Princess, I've found a lot to praise Royal for, but also areas where I know they can improve. 

There is always room for improvement! 

2 hours ago, BrianAlt said:

This is why I'd rather vet the excursions myself and not book with the cruise line.  

I find the excursions on my own tend to be more personal with better customer service.

This is even more true in Europe. In addition, private excursions are significantly cheaper compared to the price differences in the Caribbean.