Switching cruise dates and ship

Scarlett625

A little over a month ago, my husband had to have an unexpected surgery to reconstruct his foot and is currently immobile because he has a large metal cage surrounding his foot and lower leg (with pins going into the leg for support). We had asked the surgeon on multiple occasions if the cage would be removed before our cruise on October 15th. Multiple times he said it would. We just saw the surgeon today and told us that the cage will be on for probably another 6 weeks. We are now 30 days from our sailing and I called RC to see if we could switch our sailing to December on another ship (same itinerary. I was told that RC may give me the exception if I can get a note from the doctor stating that my husband should not go on the cruise. I have contacted the doctor's office and put in the request but haven't heard anything yet. 

I have heard that there is a fee and I'll be okay with paying it and paying any balance between what I paid for my current cruise and the one in December. Ironically I was planning on buying trip insurance this upcoming week, but I'm not sure if I can now because I don't know whether trip cancellation is covered with this circumstance now. My husband said if RC won't switch the cruise we will go on the trip but I'm not sure how much fun it will be for him. He won't be able to swim or walk and he'll have to haul around this heavy metal cage around on his foot/leg with a scooter. 

Has anyone experienced having to switch cruises this late? Is it the norm to have to get doctor's notes? If we get a doctor's note, does it run smoothly from there? I know we will lose out on our beach bed because I'm sure they are all sold out on the other cruise by now and possibly the same with the dining package we purchased for the October cruise. That stuff is not important to us, we just want to be able to both have a good time and I'm afraid in my husband's current predicament, he won't have the best time, and moving the cruise back would be a better option.

Switching cruises become so much harder the closer you are to sailing. You are past final payment which means that any cancellations or changes without a doctor's note will incur a 100% penalty. It may not be a smooth transition this close because even if you switch to Dec, you are still cutting it close in all aspects. 

Also, you need to purchase trip insurance within a certain timeframe. Usually that is between no later than 15-30 days after you booked the cruise. 

I've purchased trip insurance the week before my cruise on a couple of cruises with no issues. I mainly purchase it for if something happens on the trip and never cared about cancellation because I never needed it for that. 

Hopefully the doctor will be nice and provide the documentation, since he was the one that said my husband would be out of the cage before October 15th multiple times and then today acted like we never asked such a question. Lesson learned to get it in writing I guess. 

9 hours ago, Scarlett625 said:

I've purchased trip insurance the week before my cruise on a couple of cruises with no issues. I mainly purchase it for if something happens on the trip and never cared about cancellation because I never needed it for that. 

Problem is when you purchase it after about 14 days from your first deposit, you won't be covered for pre-existing conditions which this clearly is.  Good luck, I do hope it works out.

13 hours ago, Scarlett625 said:

Unfortunately for you, insurance companies aren't going to allow you to purchase insurance and then cancel a cruise that's only a few weeks away especially given that this is a known medical condition.  That would be considered insurance fraud.  Cancellation policies need to be purchased around the the time of the cruise purchase or they will not be offered.  Your best option is to lean on both your doctor for that note and Royal to allow you to switch to a different cruise without penalty.