Luggage transfer for Seward Cruise from Train Depot

Tink

I am doing a solo trip this September arriving first in Fairbanks for a few days then taking the Gold Star from Fairbanks to Seward with an overnight stop in Anchorage before heading to Seward.  I am getting conflicting info in my google searches with regard to the transport of my checked luggage.  Does anyone have any recent experience with this when train transportation was booked directly with the railroad?  Since I will be gone for about 3 weeks I have 2 checked bags and as a senior I am not really interested in schlepping my luggage to the cruise port on foot.

I did something similar in June 2022. There's a free shuttle that operates on a loop covering the whole town. They even have space for your luggage, so everything is very easy.

The complete loop takes about 30 minutes and runs about every 15.

You'll have plenty of time to explore as the ship arrives in the morning and the train departs about 6pm.

Now for the bad news. The bus operates in one direction, and the train station will be the last stop before the bus returns to the cruise terminal. It might be possible to get the driver to drop you off early as he'll have to pass the train station regardless.  I don't know if the railroad will accept luggage early.

As some alternatives, you could walk from the ship to the station.  It isn't that far, but it isn't the prettiest part of town either.

Another option is to take a boat tour of resurrection Bay. It's a beautiful trip and the operator will handle your luggage and transportation to the tour and to the train station. 

Have a great trip! Seward and the train are highlights of an Alaska cruise. 

Actually, my plans are reversed.  I am coming in on the train for the cruise.  Some suggested that in Anchorage my luggage can be checked and shipped directly to the boat, but I am not sure if that is just for those who booked the train trip directly through RC.  Since I wanted to experience the Gold Star class for the trip from Fairbanks, I booked directly through Alaska Rail.

1 hour ago, Tink said:

Actually, my plans are reversed.  I am coming in on the train for the cruise.  Some suggested that in Anchorage my luggage can be checked and shipped directly to the boat, but I am not sure if that is just for those who booked the train trip directly through RC.  Since I wanted to experience the Gold Star class for the trip from Fairbanks, I booked directly through Alaska Rail.

Sorry, I should have read it more carefully.

I don't know about checking your bags straight through, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can.  Either way, the local, free shuttle will transport you and your bags if necessary directly to the ship. Since it is the next stop on their circuit, it should be an easy connection.

I've taken the train twice from Anchorage to Seward booked direct with the Alaskan Railroad.   Granted my experiences are before the pandemic.

At the time the train from Anchorage didn't have a baggage car.  All luggage, cruise passengers or other train passengers, went by truck.  

The downtown train depot in Anchorage has a tent setup outside the station for luggage drop off.  The station itself is pretty small.  There is not enough space for all train passengers inside the train station to give you an idea of its size. 

Outside in the luggage tent they have an area for cruise guests and an area for for everyone else.  At this point you won't see you luggage again until it's outside your cabin door on the ship.  Do not pack passports, medication, valuables, etc. that you will need on the train or to check in for the cruise in Seward.  Have your cruise line luggage tags attached or they can make some up for you like they do at any cruise terminal when guests don't have luggage tags.  There is typically a long line for tags so you are better off bringing them and having them attached already so you can just drop off luggage and then go inside to get your train ticket.   

The train station in Seward is a 10-15 minute walk to the cruise terminal.  They offer a motorcoach that is complimentary but I walked it both times.  You won't see your luggage at this point.  It's already being loaded on the ship.  

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've taken the train twice from Anchorage to Seward booked direct with the Alaskan Railroad.   Granted my experiences are before the pandemic.

At the time the train from Anchorage didn't have a baggage car.  All luggage, cruise passengers or other train passengers, went by truck.  

The downtown train depot in Anchorage has a tent setup outside the station for luggage drop off.  The station itself is pretty small.  There not enough space for all train passengers to be inside the train station to give you an idea of its size. 

Outside in the luggage tent they have an area for cruise guests and an area for for everyone else.  At this point you won't see you luggage again until it's outside your cabin door on the ship.  Do not pack passports, medication, valuables, etc. that you will need on the train or to check in for the cruise in Seward.  Have your cruise line luggage tags attached or they can make some up for you like they do at any cruise terminal when guests don't have luggage tags.  There is typically a long line for tags so you are better off bring them and having them attached already so you can just drop off luggage and then go inside to get your train ticket.   

The train station in Seward is a 10-15 minute walk to the cruise terminal.  They offer a motorcoach that is complimentary but I walked it both times.  You won't see your luggage at this point.  It's already being loaded on the ship.  

Thank you.  I hope this is still the case.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

Sorry, I should have read it more carefully.

I don't know about checking your bags straight through, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can.  Either way, the local, free shuttle will transport you and your bags if necessary directly to the ship. Since it is the next stop on their circuit, it should be an easy connection.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...