Bringing your treasures home

Man oh man, could I have done more sho... I mean my wife could have done more sho..

Okay, you caught me.

Anyways, my big concern was what had to be declared at Customs. The CBP site may not be the easiest to navigate, and since I'm going to Grand Cayman, I want Rum Cake. and I want to bring rum cake home. But the food and agriculture signs had me wondering. 

So to make a long story short,and to hopefully save someone the aggravation of Customs fines... Here's the link for the approved food items...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/kw/bringing food to us

If anyone has anything else to add, please, enlighten us. The more we know, the happier we travel

I've brought rum called bake without a problem, but my Ruben Sandwich was confiscated because it had beef in it (Nassau airport where you clear Customs before entering the boarding area and I didn't want to eat airport food). Meat and seeds seen to be the real issue. 

My last cruise (first week in May) from Port Canaveral we didn't get customs forms in our room.  I went to guest services and they said you don't need a customs form any more.  The agent didn't even ask.  Now if you made large purchases that might be different but how would they know you bought a $10K ring?

The new rule filling out the customs form is if you don't exceed the allowed amount you don't need to fill out a form.  Everyone still has to go through customs where the agent might ask you questions about what you purchased .   We exceeded the amount several weeks ago on the Oasis and filled out the form.  The customs agent looked at the form, asked us a few questions and told us to have a nice day.  We have been on many cruises and have gone over the amount about every time but have only been hit for a fee one time and that was in Miami for an extra bottle of rum.   My advice to anyone bringing back goods is to be totally honest about the amount.  Customs does not play games and you can get in serious trouble for lying to them.