Alaska Airlines

Heading to Seattle for a Quantum of the Seas cruise to Alaska from Newark, New Jersey.  Comparing airlines was like comparing apples and oranges. The non stops narrowed the field to United and Alaska Airlines. United marketing was pretty unrealistic as they showed some kind of base economy fare (that looked good ) that was basically useless. No carry on no sea selection, no anything. Alaska quotes that were higher included at least the basics. When the smoke cleared Alaska Airlines was the better deal and a better reputation for actually getting their scheduled flights off the ground and to their destinations. 

Jump forward: This is a 6 hour flight. Do they serve food? Can food be purchased? Looked at their site and couldn't find that info.  I know on United you could pre order and buy like a turkey sandwich (for about what a mortgage payment might be 😄 )... We get in dinner time in Seattle but its late for us still on eastern time. My fiancé doesn't eat that late and push her buttons I'm subject to spending the night in the hotel corridor. 😄 ...

Is where they gate in Seattle an easy walk to public transportation (Taxis)?  Thats for me 😄 I know there is light rail but she wants taxi straight to hotel so she can get checked in and relax. 

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I flew em from Ft. Lauderdale years back for my first Alaska cruise. They were fantastic then and hoping they still are... 

Living is Alaska for 40+ years, I am a very loyal Alaska Airlines customer.  I've flown on them many dozens of times over the years.  I've flown from Alaska to many areas in the "lower 48" including MCO and FLL and many other destinations in between.

Download the Alaska Airlines app, as you will need to use it for ease of travel at the airport.  At several airports, they have removed the self-serve check-in kiosk, and are expecting you to use the mobile app for check in.  Once you do check in online with the app, they do have several self-serve baggage tag kiosks you can use.  Scan the QR code boarding pass from the app at the baggage tag kiosk, and easily print your own baggage tags you can apply to your suitcases.  Walk over to the baggage drop lines, and you are done; quick and simple.   You can check in on the app starting at 24 hours prior to the flight.  You can only print out baggage tags at the self-serve kiosks no more that 4 hours prior to the flight departure time.

1 hour ago, deep1 said:

Jump forward: This is a 6 hour flight. Do they serve food? Can food be purchased? Looked at their site and couldn't find that info.  I know on United you could pre order and buy like a turkey sandwich (for about what a mortgage payment might be 😄 )... We get in dinner time in Seattle but its late for us still on eastern time. My fiancé doesn't eat that late and push her buttons I'm subject to spending the night in the hotel corridor. 😄 ...

Yes, they certainly have food available.  The link that @smokeybandit provided is accurate.  Using the app, you can easily pre-order food starting at a couple of weeks out and up to about 24 hours before the flight begins.  Once onboard, you MAY OR MAY NOT be able to purchase additional food.  If you pre-order beforehand, then your food is guaranteed and planned.  They only bring on a limited amount of extra meals, and they sometimes sell out of meals before getting to your row (they start out in the front and work their way to the back), so being able to purchase onboard is certainly not guaranteed.  If you definitely want a meal onboard, plan on pre-ordering something.

Any other questions; ask away!

4 minutes ago, MarvinS said:

Download the Alaska Airlines app, as you will need to use it for ease of travel at the airport.  At several airports, they have removed the self-serve check-in kiosk, and are expecting you to use the mobile app for check in.  Once you do check in online with the app, they do have several self-serve baggage tag kiosks you can use.  Scan the QR code boarding pass from the app at the baggage tag kiosk, and easily print your own baggage tags you can apply to your suitcases.  Walk over to the baggage drop lines, and you are done; quick and simple.   You can check in on the app starting at 24 hours prior to the flight.  You can only print out baggage tags at the self-serve kiosks no more that 4 hours prior to the flight departure time.

We're toting carry on... But the info is deeply appreciated. I did the app just a while ago. 

4 hours ago, deep1 said:

Is where they gate in Seattle an easy walk to public transportation (Taxis)?  Thats for me 😄 I know there is light rail but she wants taxi straight to hotel so she can get checked in and relax. 

Super easy to navigate from the gate to the public transportation. Just follow the signs to baggage claim area, then cross one of the sky bridges to light rail, taxis, Ubers, etc. They’re all located in the parking garage. 

Alaska uses several different terminals at SEA, so could be a short walk, or could require more of a trek/train ride between terminals. Just depends on where your gate ends up being.