Coco Cay Questions

BethGR

We are getting SO excited for our cruise next month!

A couple of questions on Coco Cay:

- Is the floating bar still off of South Beach?

- Thoughts on "Cove Beach"? I've not seen a lot of info on that, but looks pretty secluded. (Perhaps too far from a bar for our group!)

- For snorkeling, sounds like off of Chill Island beach is a good spot. Any other places recommended?

- One of our teens (just graduated high school) is an Eagle Scout and loves nature. Wondering how far he can hike around the island. I think there is employee housing in other areas and/or other undeveloped areas where they don't want folks wandering around. But just wanted to ask to see if there are any paths that are approved for exploration.

OK more than a couple questions...but thank you for your input! This board and Matt's info have been indespensable in planning this trip!

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/dos-and-donts-of-royal-caribbean-cococay  I do not see a “cove beach” listed is that the name of the area that looks like a bay/kiddie area?

personally I prefer Chill beach.at the end of the pier you have 3 choices-
1-turn left turn left and cross over the bridge
2- go straight and enter the water park (tickets required)
3- go right snd there you will find the free tram that you can use to take you to South beach, Oasis lagoon (pool), and Chill beach as well as the beach club (ticket required).
I do #1 and walk over the bridge then turn left into the straw market, walk straight towards the water and turn right  snd continue walking for a bit longer.  Once I see the chill grill on the right (and the tram station) I grab a chair.  There is a bar on the beach, there’s a “silver trailer/camper” that’s a bar too-most people don’t seem to know that as there’s rarely a line.  Slightly past that beach is the bathroom snd a little further along is the snack shack which has their infamous chicken sand which, mozzarella sticks, fried dough and more.  Also located by the tram area is chill grill with standard BBQ fare and a taco bar.   I’ll typically tram back as it gets hotter during the day which brings out my “lazy”. 

I don’t think there are trails to walk.  I see people walk along the tram road and those trams kick up quite a bit of dust.  I’m sure you can find maps if you google.  The ship will also have a map of the island.

The floating bar was not at chill beach last month, I imagine it is still located at South beach.  It does not hold a lot of people.  

14 hours ago, BethGR said:

- One of our teens (just graduated high school) is an Eagle Scout and loves nature. Wondering how far he can hike around the island. I think there is employee housing in other areas and/or other undeveloped areas where they don't want folks wandering around. But just wanted to ask to see if there are any paths that are approved for exploration.

11 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I don’t think there are trails to walk.  I see people walk along the tram road and those trams kick up quite a bit of dust.  I’m sure you can find maps if you google.  The ship will also have a map of the island.

There's not nearly as much undeveloped land on Cococay as there used to be.  There's a road that runs East/West down the middle of the island and there was a nature trail that went through the forest between that road and the southern shore.  If you pull up the current satellite view on Google maps, you can see the trail snaking through the trees.  (That's the far end of South Beach on the right.)  You could take that trail all the way to a small deck with a couple chairs on the tip of the island over the rocks.  It had a nice view back to the ship.  The trail used to be advertised and the start had a sign but I don't think it's kept up anymore.  You can also walk the beach all the way down but it's possible you'd hit a construction area now (on the beach or the trail.)  For reference there was virtually nothing north of the road or at the tip of the island when I last walked this.

image.thumb.png.eba2009c100bbb70376fbae32b5ca593.png

On 6/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, Atlantix2000 said:

There's not nearly as much undeveloped land on Cococay as there used to be.  There's a road that runs East/West down the middle of the island and there was a nature trail that went through the forest between that road and the southern shore.  If you pull up the current satellite view on Google maps, you can see the trail snaking through the trees.  (That's the far end of South Beach on the right.)  You could take that trail all the way to a small deck with a couple chairs on the tip of the island over the rocks.  It had a nice view back to the ship.  The trail used to be advertised and the start had a sign but I don't think it's kept up anymore.  You can also walk the beach all the way down but it's possible you'd hit a construction area now (on the beach or the trail.)  For reference there was virtually nothing north of the road or at the tip of the island when I last walked this.

image.thumb.png.eba2009c100bbb70376fbae32b5ca593.png

Fascinating, thank you!