Train from Civitavecchia

We are looking at the train from the port station to Roma.  Looks like there is an 8:42 and 8:57am.  Has anyone had experience with those times?  Earlier?  Do they work with disembarking and all?  Do you need to buy tickets in advance?  Anyone have better experience with the bus options?

We took the train last summer.  If I recall, some are much faster than others; I would check the arrival times.  It was less than an hour for us.  We overnighted in Rome right near the station at an NH hotel; my sister stayed at the Best Western that was perfectly fine.  We bought tickets at the station from the automated kiosks without problem, but online ahead is great too.  

We walked with bags to the port shuttle from the train station.  That was a slog because it was crazy hot.  We exited the station and went left (northish) along the walk above the water and through a pedestrian gate into the port.  We then continued walking to a shuttle stop where the port shuttle picked us up and took us to the ship.  Next time I would cab from the station to the port shuttle if it is super hot.  We used google maps for walking directions.  We left our hotel around 9 am and our train was around 9:20 or so.  We were on the ship before lunch.

16 hours ago, DanPorges said:

We are looking at the train from the port station to Roma.  Looks like there is an 8:42 and 8:57am.  Has anyone had experience with those times?  Earlier?  Do they work with disembarking and all?  Do you need to buy tickets in advance?  Anyone have better experience with the bus options?

Disembarking is really fast, Shuttles are taking you to the train station, they leave every 5 minutes from the Port. This could be the only tight problem, to catch a bus.

Then leave the bus at the train station and jump into the train heading to Rome. Should work out fine, we took the 9AM train without any major problems last summer.

We did the train from the port to Rome.  It was somewhat complicated.  We were glad that we had our son who has a lot of experience with trains in Europe to help us navigate.  The station is very close to the port-we walked.  I don't remember the time of the train, but we did have to wait at least 45 minutes.  We bought our tickets at the station.  The train was packed.  We had a lot of trouble finding seats and luggage storage was non-existent.  We used a car service to get from Rome to the port to begin the cruise and it was (obviously) much easier.  With 6 people, I'm not sure how much we saved using the train.  It was convenient to store our luggage at the station in Rome when we arrived.

Avoid buying a ticket for a regional train, from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia the price for a regional train ticket is €5 (about 1h15m), an Intercity train costs €11 (48m), and a Freccia Bianca train costs €15 (42m). Always choose either one of the last two.

But if someone in your travel party has mobility problems I would book a private transfer from Rome instead, because the train option includes several flights of stairs carrying your luggage depending on the platform you arrive/departure.

Then you have to transfer to a Bus Shuttle to take you to the port. Walking distance is about 1.6 miles or about 30 minutes walking.