how much to tip and in what currency?

Robert M

so trying to finalize our spending plan.. We have a Peggy's Cove excursion for our July cruise, and its by motorcoach to the site, how much should we tip the driver at the end and since we are in Canada do we use CAD or USD? lots of differing opinions on our facebook group....I hadn't planned on getting any Canadian currency since we are there only one day but people are saying some places only accepted CAD last time they were there so wife is concerned.. any tips?

I think use your credit card anyplace that will accept it.  Ideally you would have tip money in CAD.  In Rochester you should be able to get CAD at your bank pretty easily.  I am originally from Buffalo so it was always easy there.  

If places take USD, they'll probably do it 1 for 1 and it's like $1.00=$1.35 CAD right now.

6 hours ago, Robert M said:

so trying to finalize our spending plan.. We have a Peggy's Cove excursion for our July cruise, and its by motorcoach to the site, how much should we tip the driver at the end and since we are in Canada do we use CAD or USD? lots of differing opinions on our facebook group....I hadn't planned on getting any Canadian currency since we are there only one day but people are saying some places only accepted CAD last time they were there so wife is concerned.. any tips?

Speaking as a Canadian either will work for tipping.  If you are buying items in shops, or restaurants Canadian Dollars is the way to go (if you are not doing credit card) as the exchange rates that are offered will not be very good usually.

It's been my experience that when using American cash in Canada, it's accepted at par.  In other words, don't expect to get any exchange rate.  American money is not foreign to Canadians, although it can be a pita to exchange if you're living on PEI or similarly isolated (like Nova Scotia 🙂 ).

This isn't just while at cruise ports, but everywhere.  My wife was at her parents a month or so ago and forgot to bring the Canadian money we keep around (they didn't take cards for less than $20).  Her American dollars were gladly accepted at the place they had lunch at in Fredericton....at face value.

That being said, growing up in a border town, coins you got in change (ie. less than $1) were interchangeable.  I don't know if it's still this way everywhere, but when I go back, I'm just as likely to end up with pennies/nickels/dimes/quarters of either nation.