Question about Miami Port

Hi! First time cruiser here! I have seen so many things about people using their phones while on the ship and at the different places they go and having a huge phone bill whenever they come back. I am leaving on a cruise this summer out of the port of Miami, and I was wondering if it will be okay to use my phone on the ship until we leave port? Im not sure how that all works and I don't want a huge phone bill. 

Thanks! 

Danielle 

While, yes, you can use your phone while the ship is still in Miami without incurring additional charges (and heck for a little bit as it starts to sail away) but I will warn - sailaway can be distracting. Either by the mini party happening on the pool deck, dinner, karaoke or just walking around, it is entirely possible to forget to put your phone in airplane more with all that going on. Because of that, we usually turn on airplane mode almost as soon as we get on board to avoid this potential.

But, if you are going to wait to turn it on, I'd sent an alarm in your phone for the scheduled sailaway time to remind you to turn on airplane mode. Several in fact. Roaming charges are no joke!