Golf carts in Costa Maya

Cactus527

Does anyone have any experience with renting a golf cart to drive around in Costa Maya? I see Red Shirt Golf Cart Rentals recommended on a few cruise review sites, and I'm curious about the logistics of having a cart in the port area/nearby town. The biggest question: is parking easy to find if we want to stop somewhere? Anyone that has done this, please comment and I'd sincerely appreciate it!

Got 2 carts In January while there from Red Carts. They meet you in the parking lot right behind the stores at the port and you drop off in the same location when you return. The reservations are through email basically and payments in cash when you arrive. Very efficient and great quality equipment. We rented the new carts they advertised on their website. Just watch the speed bumps through town. My wife shot our third passenger off the back seat when she didn’t see a speed bump in time 😂😂

EVERY place we stopped all the way down to the Chunky Monkey which is the “official end of the line” for Red Shirt cart rentals had plenty of cart parking. 

2 hours ago, deButler said:

Got 2 carts In January while there from Red Carts. They meet you in the parking lot right behind the stores at the port and you drop off in the same location when you return. The reservations are through email basically and payments in cash when you arrive. Very efficient and great quality equipment. We rented the new carts they advertised on their website. Just watch the speed bumps through town. My wife shot our third passenger off the back seat when she didn’t see a speed bump in time 😂😂

EVERY place we stopped all the way down to the Chunky Monkey which is the “official end of the line” for Red Shirt cart rentals had plenty of cart parking. 

Thank you so much! So glad to hear about parking availability.

My 14 year old would like to know if driving the golf cart is possible or if you must have a driver's license?

For future reference to anyone else considering Red Shirt Golf Cart Rentals, this is the email I got back from them in March 2023

Hola !

Thank you for contact us, let me provide you the info.

We have different cart options:
● Regular used Red or Lime green 2-4ppl carts (60usd, carb engine, lifted, 2forward-2backwards)
● Regular used 6ppl carts (80usd, 4 facing forward-2 backwards)

We also have new options like:
● Brand new 2-4 ppl XRT carts (80usd, fuel injected, windshield, brushguard lifted 4", foldable cargo rear seat 2fwd-2bwd).
● Brand new FANCY 2-4 ppl carts  (90usd, real fancy shape, tinted windshield, fancy Rims, brushguard and lifted 6", 2fwd-2bwd).

Full Day Rate (ship arrival to ship departure time,  you can do a quick and short exploration or staying at the beach/shops for hours and we wont charge you extra) gas, color map with recommendations and also local beach facilities (beach chairs, parking lot, showers, kayacs, etc) at some local beach clubs like Krazy Lobster, Lunas, Chunky Monkey, Barbanegra, etc.

Golf carts are street legal here, gas powered, no mimimun age to ride on, you can drive to the village-beach (small fishermens village 2500ppl population, 2.5 miles from the port), surroundings (tequila store with free tastings, lighthouse, dirt coast road, local shops, regional food restaurants, local masseurs, handcrafts, mayan replica with iguanas living there, etc), its a small and very safe area, our golf cart supervisor is patrolling around every hour for any help. Once with us (MAYAHUAL RED SHIRT STAFF) we will provide you our color map.

In recent months our beaches have been hit by tons of sargassum, Mother Nature works 24/7, despite this most of the beach clubs work very hard so that you enjoy your visit to our little town. Some weeks we have crystal clear waters and other days some seaweed arrives 😔. Local beach clubs are doing their best.

You can rent cart once you arrive here but We highly recommend to book in advance  because sometimes we run out of golf carts and this way the cart will be waiting for you.

To reserve a cart is super easy, just provide us your name, cruiseship name (not cruiseship line), arrival date and golf cart size, we will send you a confirmation (if you dont receive it then reservation is not finished yet) and detailed instructions to get with us at PORT PARKING LOT because the WHITE shirts port GOLF CARTS are strategically placed next to OUR STAND to pretend to be us(their prices are higher than ours), LOOK for the Red Shirts Golf Carts Kike and Eddie, please dont confuse us with the Green shirts, they will tell you we work together and that is not true 😔. True locals Do appreciate your support for promoting our little village !!!

NO PREPAYMENT REQUIRED TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATION, you pay total cash upon arrival, as you are trusting us, We will Do the same. 🙂

Once you arrive with us we do the check in with your reservation name and then we provide your cart (could take 10-15min because port only allows us to have 2 carts at the same time in the port parking lot).

Information video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbKhtg9if50

https://youtu.be/wX8fCX1RBaU

If you preffer to do Mayan Ruins, Bacalar Lagoon or any other activity no golf cart/beach related, We can recommend you our friend Aaron, he is a local guy who also hire only locals services to provide you nice tours and help locals economy too.