Cocktail Seminars

Are there any cocktail seminars / mixology classes / alcohol tastings offered? Specifically Ovation of the Seas to Alaska. If so, what is offered and what is the pricing like? We really enjoyed these on a Disney cruise where we learned about a specific type of alcohol and got to enjoy drinking them as well. Thanks!

There are, but in my experience, you find out about them the night before when the Cruise Planner comes out (or on my last sailing on Voyager, by hanging out at the R Bar and learning from the bartender that he's doing an impromptu class the next day).  I can't really remember the price as we never went.

I've done Taste of the Caribbean (rum drinks) twice on Anthem.  My mom recently did it on another ship.  The first time I did it, it was very interactive and entertaining.  The next time the bartenders just read from a packet and poured us our drinks (the first time they taught us how to use the shakers, how to do fancy looking things with them, and did not need a script at all).  It was $40ish, so worth it.  If you have the deluxe beverage package you get a discount (20% I think?).  We had I believe 6 samples and then at the end we got to choose which one we liked best and they made us a full sized drink of it.

We asked guest relations when the class would be for the second cruise, since I knew I had enjoyed it the year before.  It wasn't well advertised - it was a Thanksgiving sailing and there were only I think 5 of us doing it.

I’ve done these twice, both times I ended up so drunk that I was miserable the next day. That said, I have a very low tolerance and only drink on cruises a few times a year. They give you lots of alcohol, lots. One seminar we were shown how to mix the drinks, so we each mixed one for the rest of the group. The other one we sat in the bingo room and they read about the drinks and poured them for us, not really interactive. I don’t do them anymore, I can’t handle my liquor. 

I've never seen a cocktail seminar, but I certainly would be interested in attending one.

The closest thing I've seen is a Margarita and Guacamole making class with lunch at Sabor on Freedom.

The bartender had some very good margarita recipes with some great tips on how to make them so much better than just using a store bought mix.

24 minutes ago, SPS said:

I've never seen a cocktail seminar, but I certainly would be interested in attending one.

The closest thing I've seen is a Margarita and Guacamole making class with lunch at Sabor on Freedom.

The bartender had some very good margarita recipes with some great tips on how to make them so much better than just using a store bought mix.

It’s never something I’ve seen to book in advance, just in the cruise compass, and I don’t think I’ve seen one in years. I’ve also attended wine tastings this way.

30 minutes ago, Bowen said:

It’s never something I’ve seen to book in advance, just in the cruise compass, and I don’t think I’ve seen one in years. I’ve also attended wine tastings this way.

I'll have to keep a better eye out for these. Rhapsody had a nice free Scotch tasting in the onboard liquor shop that was only listed in the CC.

Where else am I gonna get to taste seven varieties of Johnny Walker on the house?