Prepaid Gratuities when not eating in MDR

mha1125

We were told that the portion of the gratuities assigned to dining staff still go into the tip pool.  Dining staff work in other venues, such as Windjammer when not working in MDR.  I am sure Royal counts meals served, but I don't know what sort of customer tracking they might use.  They do seem to pay attention to what you book in Cruise Planner so they can target you with ads on future cruises.

we never made it to the MDR on our last sailing but didn't reclaim our gratuities because many of the servers working there pull duties elsewhere in the ship. we made sure to personal tip/acknowledge the staff who helped us at the venues we did dine in 💚 but this is what we are comfortable doing -- and your experience may vary!

I have asked on quite a few ships now to some of the F&B managers, seems to be conscious that wait staff is just one big pool, which also includes Specialty Restaurant staff.  The difference is what portion of that pool you get. I.e. Specialty Restaurant staff gets a larger portion of the pool than MDR staff.

What I am still unsure of, as I have conflicting information and it may vary from ship to ship, on whether they have to turn in cash, WoW envelope tips to the pool.  I have heard it both ways

34 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

What I am still unsure of, as I have conflicting information and it may vary from ship to ship, on whether they have to turn in cash, WoW envelope tips to the pool.  I have heard it both ways

that would be absolutely wild 😳 if we take special care to recognize some one specific, with a cash tip, it would defeat the purpose entirely for that tip to be "pooled" among peers.

i truly hope they get to keep 100 percent of what we take pains to recognize individually. 💚