Verizon TravelPass for cell service in ports?

Wheeler825

We usually don't use our phones while in port, but rather while onboard during the cruise. I apologize in advance if you already know this...

If you have the internet package onboard, you can leave your phone in Airplane mode, turn on the WiFi (needed anyway for internet), and then turn on WiFi calling if your carrier permits. We have Verizon and that's how we communicate onboard and with home while at sea. No need for a special calling plan in that scenario.

One of the folks we traveled with last month went another route since she wanted to make sure she could use her phone off the ship if an emergency arose while in port. Verizon also has some plan for $10/day that allows unlimited international calling. Supposedly, they only charge you on the days you use the plan...

19 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

We usually don't use our phones while in port, but rather while onboard during the cruise. I apologize in advance if you already know this...

If you have the internet package onboard, you can leave your phone in Airplane mode, turn on the WiFi (needed anyway for internet), and then turn on WiFi calling if your carrier permits. We have Verizon and that's how we communicate onboard and with home while at sea. No need for a special calling plan in that scenario.

One of the folks we traveled with last month went another route since she wanted to make sure she could use her phone off the ship if an emergency arose while in port. Verizon also has some plan for $10/day that allows unlimited international calling. Supposedly, they only charge you on the days you use the plan...

Yeah, you're bottom part is what they call TravelPass

We have used the Verizon TravelPass on all of our cruises.  We also have a teanager that likes to keep up with her friends.  I just ensure that the TravelPass works in the countries that we visit.  I do not  want to increase our Verizon bill with international calls if it does not. 

We "used" it on our last cruise. You have to activate it ahead of time on each line you want it for. We ended up not using it in Roatan and had included coverage on our Mexico stops, so we didn't get charged, but we were prepared to if we had an emergency for any reason. If you use it even once, that line gets charged $10 + fees. I don't know if we had a free day of this coverage or not - where do you find that info? It probably wouldn't work ON the ship very well unless you're near enough to a tower to get roaming, but it sounds like you are only talking about using it on the port islands.

1 hour ago, fdfrakes said:

We have used the Verizon TravelPass on all of our cruises.  We also have a teanager that likes to keep up with her friends.  I just ensure that the TravelPass works in the countries that we visit.  I do not  want to increase our Verizon bill with international calls if it does not. 

Have you had good luck with it?

I've used Verizon Travel Pass on several international trips. Super easy to use, and includes coverage for the vast majority of countries (though level of cell reception naturally varies due to infrastructure differences). It's $5-10 per 24hr period so if you have 2 port days in a row and you time it right, you could get service in both ports for the price of a single "day." You'll get a text saying that it's been activated once you turn cellular service on. I don't recall getting one that would let you know your 24hrs was almost up (which would be nice, but not necessary). Don't think I used it in Labadee, but had no problems in Aruba and Curacao. You should be fine.

I use Verizon Travel Pass as needed. It’s activated on my account but I don’t use it as much anymore…only if necessary. I’ve visited many Caribbean islands and it’s worked well every time I used it. I covers the same cell and data as my home plan…unlimited. As mentioned above, it’s not a once a day activation, but $10 once every 24 hours…so activating it at 2pm on one island will cover all the way through 2pm on another. However it does not cover cell service onboard. Only for land based cell towers. Using your cell on a ship is very expensive so it’s important to remember to put your phone back on airplane mode when you leave the island. 
If I don’t want to use it on an island, I’ll keep my phone on airplane mode. On the ship I just text or use the WiFi calling…Messenger, FaceTime or WhatsApp.