Rethinking both of the excursions I booked.

jp1

On Black Friday I booked two excursions for my March '23 cruise.

> Skyride on St. Thomas

> Maho Beach Plane Spotting on St. Maarten

From reading here it sounds like in both cases I can easily manage both on my own and save some money.  I booked both through RC mainly because I'm concerned about getting back to the ship on time to re-board.  Besides saving money I'm also thinking that both excursions are going to be padded out with "shopping opportunities" that we're not interested in.  We've wasted several hours doing the Maui Divers "free shuttle" and don't wish to repeat it on our first cruise.  For Maho Beach, the bulk of the big planes seem to land between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.  By then the RC excursion will be long gone.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, jp1 said:

> Skyride on St. Thomas

From reading here it sounds like in both cases I can easily manage both on my own and save some money.  I booked both through RC mainly because I'm concerned about getting back to the ship on time to re-board.  Besides saving money I'm also thinking that both excursions are going to be padded out with "shopping opportunities" that we're not interested in.  We've wasted several hours doing the Maui Divers "free shuttle" and don't wish to repeat it on our first cruise.  For Maho Beach, the bulk of the big planes seem to land between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.  By then the RC excursion will be long gone.

Thoughts?

I rarely book Royal excursions in the Caribbean.  They are typically crowded and overpriced vs do it on your own.  In both cases you listed above, you should be able to just book a cab to bring you to the location. Cabs are always easy to get in ports.

To be sure I get back on time, I usually make arrangements with the cab driver to pick us back up at an appointed time.  Have a watch if you don't have local cell service. Make sure you stay on ship time (not always the same as local). Leave plenty of time to get back.  Travel times are different in the Caribbean and things can slow down at random times.

17 hours ago, jp1 said:

> Skyride on St. Thomas

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of going solo. Stick with the group in a strange country, missing the ship come departure time, etc. But I've done the Sky ride in St Thomas solo. Simple walk and ship was always within sight. So that one I say go for it no problem. Never did the other so can't comment. 

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

I'm not a big fan of going solo. Stick with the group in a strange country, missing the ship come departure time, etc. But I've done the Sky ride in St Thomas solo. Simple walk and ship was always within sight. So that one I say go for it no problem. Never did the other so can't comment. 

Does RC always dock at the port near the Skyride in St. Thomas?

38 minutes ago, jp1 said:

Not sure. I was on Disney when I did it. Maybe someone else can answer. But I would have felt comfortable enough with a longer walk or short taxi ride. In terms of safety and distance from ship. Again, big chicken for missing the boat here. 

8 hours ago, jp1 said:

St Thomas Skyride to the top of Paradise Point is near the Havensight Cruise Terminal Dock.  Royal uses the Crown Bay Cruise Terminal Dock which is on the other side of Charlotte Amalie almost exclusivly.  Are there exceptions? maybe, but i have never docked anywhere but there.

13 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

St Thomas Skyride to the top of Paradise Point is near the Havensight Cruise Terminal Dock.  Royal uses the Crown Bay Cruise Terminal Dock which is on the other side of Charlotte Amalie almost exclusivly.  Are there exceptions? maybe, but i have never docked anywhere but there.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the plane spotting in St. Maarten and it was one of my favorite things I've done in the Caribbean. We only saw 1 big jet while we were there but there were smaller planes flying in the whole time - still a very neat experience and it was nice to have the security that we wouldn't miss the boat if our tour bus broke down on something. They did allow for shopping time but that was at the same time as the "beach break" so if you didn't want to shop, you could just hang out at the bar or on the beach, like we did! I hope you enjoy your cruise!