Excursion

Ladywendy

Based on my experiences:  

At Cozumel, your big decision is whether to take the ferry to the mainland or not.  If can be a little rough, but it is worth it if you want to the full-day excursions with cenotes, underground rivers, Mayan ruins, etc.   Otherwise, you can cab downtown or plan on a beach day.  There is a museum for the island, but I haven't seen it.

At Costa Maya I recommend Chacchoben ruins.  However, some folks just go to the local village (Mahahual) by cab or the "tractor train" just outside the port entrance.  At the village you can wander through stores or vendor stalls, eat at a restaurant, or try the beach.  Some of the beach is private for the use of hotel or restaurant patrons, but you can get a pass or get a 3rd party excursion.  You can take a cab back to the port.

At Roatan, try a snorkeling excursion or beach day.  There are options.  Some folks like to visit the sloths.   Don't try to exit the port and "wander around".  If you leave the port, take a cab to a specific destination or take an excursion you've vetted in advance.