Another drink package question

So I am confused with drink package. I don't know whether we pay extra gratuities on top of the drinks, or if it's included in what we've paid. I'm getting confused reading online - some places say that whenever you get a drink an 18% charge is added on to your account, whereas others say that the daily cost that has already been paid includes the gratuity already?

RCI's website was no help - the T&C's state that extra gratuity may be charged depending on where you sail from etc.

We're only on a short cruise from Sydney and I've got the deluxe package for my husband and the refreshment package for me.

It's included in the drink packages but 18% is added to single  drinks if you didn' t purchase the alcohol package, correct?

Correct.

Ok now I'm confused again

So Husband has the Deluxe package, so everything. I have the Refreshment package, so everything but alcohol. Does this mean when I get like a juice or something I have the extra added, but if he bought the same juice he wouldn't?

I know that if I do have an alcoholic beverage I have to pay for it and pay the gratuity, which I factored in when I got the refreshment package for myself because I'm pretty much a non-drinker these days.

Ok now I'm confused again

So Husband has the Deluxe package, so everything. I have the Refreshment package, so everything but alcohol. Does this mean when I get like a juice or something I have the extra added, but if he bought the same juice he wouldn't?

I know that if I do have an alcoholic beverage I have to pay for it and pay the gratuity, which I factored in when I got the refreshment package for myself because I'm pretty much a non-drinker these days.

You get juice and everything your husband gets, just no booze.

• 1 month later...

My cruise is coming up fast.  There are 3 of us me and my 2 teen-age daughters.  I don't think the Deluxe Drink package is the one for me.  But, I have seem some posts about a card for 10 drinks (or so).  Does anyone know if that will be available on Explorer of the Seas, sailing out of Seattle, on May 15th, to British Columbia.  I'm thinking about getting the coffee card and possibly the soda package for my daughters.  It just ends up being such a big expense over the 4 days.

Anything circling about the drink card availability?

Thanks,

Amy

Hoping to add more as I am able

Royal Caribbean, Explorer of the Seas...British Columbia out of Seattle May 2017

Norwegian (7 nights Caribbean) 1996

Norwegian (7 nights Caribbean) 1990

Cunard (1 night out of Seattle) early 1980s

8 minutes ago, sashat00 said:

My cruise is coming up fast.  There are 3 of us me and my 2 teen-age daughters.  I don't think the Deluxe Drink package is the one for me.  But, I have seem some posts about a card for 10 drinks (or so).  Does anyone know if that will be available on Explorer of the Seas, sailing out of Seattle, on May 15th, to British Columbia.  I'm thinking about getting the coffee card and possibly the soda package for my daughters.  It just ends up being such a big expense over the 4 days.

Anything circling about the drink card availability?

Thanks,

Amy

Hoping to add more as I am able

Royal Caribbean, Explorer of the Seas...British Columbia out of Seattle May 2017

Norwegian (7 nights Caribbean) 1996

Norwegian (7 nights Caribbean) 1990

Cunard (1 night out of Seattle) early 1980s

It varies from sailing to sailing, so it may or may not be available.  Most of us think that it's offered to boost bar sales when they're below projections.  Note that if it is offered, it won't be available until Day 4.  Another option is to buy the drink package with 4 days remaining.  That will cut the overall cost, but then you need to determine if the loss of the prepurchase discount makes it a good deal.  Also, keep in mind that you can get specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, etc. with the drink package, so just don't look at the alcohol when trying to decide.  Another option might be the Royal Refreshment package if you want cocktails but can do without the added alcohol.