Recommended aqua shoes?

JLMoran

OK, so here's an out-there topic...

As I've mentioned in a few other posts, I'm mobility limited. Part of the limitation is that, due to multiple fusion surgeries on my right foot, my right leg is now about 3/4" shorter than my left. So walking barefoot is extremely uncomfortable to outright painful, depending on what I'm walking on.

That said, I'd like to be able to wade into the ocean a bit, or use the ship's pools, or join my wife in the dolphin swim she wants to do. Aqua shoes seem like an option, where I could bring them with me and change out from my sneakers, but I'm having a hard time finding something that could work with a gimpy leg.

I have my regular shoes modified with a 3/4" lift on the right shoe to level out my gait, and I'm going to be checking with him to see if he can do something similar for an aqua shoe (keeping in mind the adhesives he uses to attach the lift may not be waterproof). Even if he can't, just being able to walk around for the little bit to get into the water and buoyant could be good.

Does anyone here regularly use aqua shoes when you hit the beach or ocean, or when you go on water-based excursions? If you do, can you recommend a particular brand that you've had good experience with? Cost isn't an issue here. I regularly spend almost $150 on my regular shoes every six months, plus the cost for the lift; spending similarly for a pair of aqua shoes that I'll use only in the summer months for at most a few dozen hours each season will be fine, as they should last a good long time.

I do have some caveats with this besides needing the lift, and it may make using aqua shoes a non-starter. Let me know if you think that's the case, I know this could be a long-shot.

1. I use orthotics in my regular shoes. They're 100% rigid plastic and won't degrade from water exposure, but obviously the aqua shoe needs to be able to fit that plus my foot. I could probably get by without them for the limited time I'd use these, so I consider this a "nice to have"
  2. My right foot is slightly misshapen after all the surgeries, with a prominent knob of bone on top at the base of the big toe. My regular shoes have to be molded with a bunion stretcher to avoid really bad pain and chafing on that area. I imagine aqua shoes have quite a bit more give and stretchiness, but I do still have concerns about getting a bad friction wound from overuse.
  3. Do they make aqua shoes that are shaped more like a sneaker than a slipper? Just looking for a little more ankle support, as torque on both of my feet is a Bad Thing

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give! I figured better to ask now, while I've still got over a year to go!

Water shoes are WAAAY easier to find than they used to be.

The good thing about water shoes is that they are very "elastic" (sorry...can't think of a better term).  They are very expandable.   Maybe that's a better term.

The bad news is...they have very little support but it's not like you're going to be walking miles in them.

I would probably try just ordering a pair off the internet (I got my last pair on Amazon and they were very affordable - less than $40) and try inserting your regular orthotic into them. 

Like you said, if you aren't able to use the orthotic then it won't be a show stopper but I think you will be able to do it that way.

BTW, they are very comfortable !

Good luck !

matt had a blog post about some sort of water shoe and I purchased them for my western Caribbean cruise and wore them everywhere!

They really were great. and only about $20

I think I found the post you're referencing: 5 things to bring to Labadee to make your visit awesome

Looked at the men's water shoes Matt linked to there, not sure about them in terms of the seeming thinness of the sole and the surrounding material.

These look like they might be a better option. Sole looks thick enough that my cobbler might be able to put a lift in them (he has to slice the sole lengthwise and then puts the lift material in between the pieces like a sandwich). and the surrounding material also looks thicker and more durable. Seems a bit like a Teva shoe in terms of the semi-open sides, but going to put this one in my "Cruise Prep" shopping list on Amazon while I keep looking. Only caveat I see with these is that they only come in a standard "D" width, and my feet are a "EE" (wide). But if they're elastic enough, it may do for the short periods I'd be using them.

Thanks, both of you!

Just found these in an Amazon search, have bookmarked them for later as these have a Vibram sole like my New Balance sneakers and should work great for getting a lift put in. Going to keep looking and see what other options I can find, but I think these are the top option so far, even if they only end up working for one cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Blaze-Sieve-Water-Black/dp/B00KZOCVXK/ref=sr_1_9?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1486738371&sr=1-9&nodeID=679255011&keywords=water%2Bshoes&refinements=p_n_size_browse-vebin%3A1285070011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&th=1&psc=1

Just found these in an Amazon search, have bookmarked them for later as these have a Vibram sole like my New Balance sneakers and should work great for getting a lift put in. Going to keep looking and see what other options I can find, but I think these are the top option so far, even if they only end up working for one cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Blaze-Sieve-Water-Black/dp/B00KZOCVXK/ref=sr_1_9?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1486738371&sr=1-9&nodeID=679255011&keywords=water%2Bshoes&refinements=p_n_size_browse-vebin%3A1285070011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&th=1&psc=1

This is a pretty high-end shoe. It should last you quite a long time.