Best neighborhood in DC?

Matt

We are thinking of spending a couple days in Washington DC this summer with our kids.

Which neighborhood is ideal for being centrally located so we can easily walk to museums and/or access to the Metro?

Bonus points if it's an area that's convenient to not only museums, but also dining options.

Ha! I've been researching a ton about DC this month, in preparation for our upcoming move in August 🙂 

Are you interested in hitting all the Must Dos and not having to taxi/uber anywhere? It might be worth it to just stay right downtown. More expensive, but you'll save travel money and time. There's a Hyatt Place that's a bit less expensive than some.

Georgetown is my favorite neighborhood, personally, and close to the National Mall, etc. If you're looking into AirBnBs this would be the neighborhood for sure.

Chinatown is another convenient spot, and it has a lot going on all on its own. 

Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle neighborhoods are overrated, IMHO.

7 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Are you interested in hitting all the Must Dos and not having to taxi/uber anywhere?

More or less, yes. Ideally, we want to be close enough to be able to walk to some museums.  Otherwise, be able to easily walk to a metro station close by.

So not Alexandria or somewhere in Maryland.

My concern is finding a great Airbnb but being somewhere that we're either too metro dependent, or in a business district that is devoid of things around us within walking distance (think Financial District of Manhattan).

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

More or less, yes. Ideally, we want to be close enough to be able to walk to some museums.  Otherwise, be able to easily walk to a metro station close by.

So not Alexandria or somewhere in Maryland.

My concern is finding a great Airbnb but being somewhere that we're either too metro dependent, or in a business district that is devoid of things around us within walking distance (think Financial District of Manhattan).

Then definitely look in Georgetown. Quick bus (don't discount the buses, they're great there!) or metro to the Mall, but interesting stuff, particularly food, in its own right.

If you can stay downtown, do it. Pre pandemic I've gone 1-2x a year and love the walkability of the city. So, so many good restaurants and museums. When I go I walk just about everywhere or Lyft/Uber. 

The Metro is supposedly VERY easy but this New Yorker who works in NYC got a little lost so (I get lost everywhere that isn't home sooooo) take that with a grain of salt. I did find the Metro clean and the people are super friendly if you have any questions.

What a great place to go. The museums are amazing. Hope you all enjoy.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, Matt said:

We are thinking of spending a couple days in Washington DC this summer with our kids.

Which neighborhood is ideal for being centrally located so we can easily walk to museums and/or access to the Metro?

Bonus points if it's an area that's convenient to not only museums, but also dining options.

Wait, *I* might actually get to help @Matt out with something for a change?!? 🤣

I actually travel to DC with my family fairly frequently.  Is there a hotel chain that you prefer due to loyalty program points/status?  I can probably offer some specific suggestions.

1 hour ago, USCG Teacher said:

Is there a hotel chain that you prefer due to loyalty program points/status?  I can probably offer some specific suggestions.

We were thinking of doing an Airbnb so that we could get more space for the kids (as in, space away from us!)

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

We were thinking of doing an Airbnb so that we could get more space for the kids (as in, space away from us!)

Ah, fair enough!  In that case, I'll echo @KristiZ's sentiments about Georgetown as a good starting spot.   Good food in the area, interesting neighborhood, but not a ton of Metro stations if you're not near Dupont Circle or Woodley Park.  It's also a pretty healthy walk to the National Mall.  There will definitely be a number of choices available in Georgetown.

Given your parameters, I'd probably be looking just north of the Capitol building, too.  It's not nearly as much of a neighborhood as Georgetown, but there are usually quite a few choices in the area right around Union Station (which is worth a visit itself!).  Easy access to Metro stations on the Red Line as well as the Circulator Bus, which is perfect for tourists.  You can walk to the Capitol building easily, which is on the far eastern edge of the National Mall, and convenient to the Air & Space Museum and the National Gallery of Art but that's quite a walk to get the western side where the Lincoln Memorial and the wharf are (that's where the Circulator bus comes in!).  It's also convenient to one of my favorite places to eat in the area, Cafe Berlin. 

Can't go wrong either way, imho.  Just keep in mind that the Metro in DC is NOT open all night, so keep an eye on the hours depending on when you're there, or else you'll be limited to bus lines or Uber/Lyft.  Also, don't sleep on the Ethiopian food in DC.  A large number of refugees in the 70s and 80s ended up putting down roots in DC, and there are quite a few fantastic restaurants and markets in the city as a result (there are 2-3 within a block of the U St. station on the Green/Yellow line, near the original Ben's Chili Bowl).  Have a great trip, and if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to do my best to help out! 👍🏼