App chat and Sharing VOOM among family

Ok, four of us in the family.  Considering sharing 2 internet connections and then paying the (stupid) fee per person for the chat feature.  My questions is this: are the logins for the chat vs. the internet independent?  If I want the discount for buying 2 VOOM connections it has to be under 1 user.  If my kid uses my internet connection can they still be themselves on the chat or it would show them as me?

This is on Symphony, not sure if that matters.

Thanks!

They are independent. One family member being on chat will not effect the internet user. If you buy the 2 device Voom your child could also be on at the same time as you; any two of you can be on (it is always under 1 person’s name, but you can have the number of connections open as the number your purchased). Note. If you are in a suite the purchase of Voom is not needed as it is part of the Sky suite package.

One follow up question I'll throw out there.  Haven't cruised Royal in a few years(since they started making you pay for the chat feature).  My family is both Android and IPhone users and several years ago when on the ship the free chat didn't work all that well.  Does it work well now on both devices?  Messages go through and you get alerted to new messages?  I remember before you had to constantly kill the app and bring it back up to get new messages.

I'm debating getting 2 VOOMs and then paying for 4 chats for the 4 of us vs. 4 VOOMs and just use Whatsapp or whatever. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy P said:

One follow up question I'll throw out there.  Haven't cruised Royal in a few years(since they started making you pay for the chat feature).  My family is both Android and IPhone users and several years ago when on the ship the free chat didn't work all that well.  Does it work well now on both devices?  Messages go through and you get alerted to new messages?  I remember before you had to constantly kill the app and bring it back up to get new messages.

I'm debating getting 2 VOOMs and then paying for 4 chats for the 4 of us vs. 4 VOOMs and just use Whatsapp or whatever. 

Some of the others will need to speak to that question - we have used iPhones exclusively since their inception and primarily use Voom not chat. The only thing I recall being a problem for us with chat was getting notifications that were useful (you had to be signed in). But I am sure some of the many experienced cruisers here will be able to answer your additional questions 😊

I think most people who experience chat issues are guests that don't have Voom plans and just purchased the chat feature.  The problem is there can be so many variables.  This version of iPhone from 3 years ago and another version of android from 2 years ago plus a six year old phone from...  

If everyone has Voom, there is no need for chat as you can use native apps to text.