Formal Dining Nights

baileyt456

I feel compelled to make sure you're aware that you do not have to dress formal on these supposed 'formal nights'. This comes up a lot. While I don't think it's proper to raggedy shorts and a tank top to the dining room, I don't bring formal attire on cruises anymore. It's a huge inconvenience (at least for me), traveling with kids to have to bring formal clothing, keep it all clean and wrinkle-free, etc., when I'm trying to pack light as it is. I don't go on vacation to dress up. 

That said, if you want to participate in formal nights because you think it's fun, go for it! Just make sure you understand that it's by no means mandatory. 

i believe this rule of thumb breakdown from royal's site still is pretty accurate:

Formal nights:

• 3/4/5 Night Cruises - Usually on Day 2
  • 6 Night Cruises - Usually on Day 2 and 5
  • 7 Night Cruises - Usually on Day 2 and 6
  • 8 - 10 Night Cruises - 2 Formal Nights, Days vary by ship and sailing
  • 11 - 14 Night Cruises - 3 Formal Nights, Days vary by ship and sailing
  • 15+ Night Cruises - 3 or 4 Formal Nights, Days and number vary by ship and sailing
  • Oasis and Allure - Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries