Ships in port

Jeff

I was recently given a website address that lists all ships in port on any given day. For my upcoming cruise, we will have 4 total ships in Nassau, including the one I will be on. Will 4 ships make Nassau overcrowded? In your opinion, how many ships are too many ships?

When I was in Nassau, there were at least 4 ships. Not crowded.

Ports are like airports....they have the same flights arrive and depart every hour.   They know the "flow".   Harbors expect the same amount of ships every day, every hour, every week.   They know exactly how many passengers will be arriving and have made arrangements to accommodate exactly the number of passengers to make their visit comfortable and convenient.   Some ships will arrive at 7am.....depart 2pm.....some will arrive 10 am depart 4pm.....some will arrive 4pm depart 8pm.   And yes...they can have four or more ships in harbor but that doesn't mean they all arrive at the same time.  They have been working out these schedules for years now and have it down to a science.  

how many equals too many? I know its subjective, just curious

In places like Cozumel, Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin, they seem capable of handling multiple ships.  For example, when I'm aboard the Allure in Cozumel, I believe there are 8 or 9 ships in port that day.  However, because visitors go off in all directions, you'll likely not notice the crowds too much.  The staggered arrival and departure times also help.

I believe there were five ships in port while we were in St. Martin.  The only time it felt crowded was at the beach by the airport.  That was wall-to-wall people.  However, everywhere else was fine.

I've docked in Cozumel before, but I can't remember how many ships were there at the same time.  With so many wonderful things to do in Cozumel, you probably don't even notice....  Except maybe at Senior Frogs before you get back on the boat!   ;)

If you are drinking enough at Senior Frogs you won't notice.

I was in Nassau in August and there were six ships in port. Several problems, 1) couldn't get a seat on the free shuttle bus to and from the ship to the port entrance, had to walk, 2) long wait for a taxi, there were so many people using them, 3) the port area was so busy that the vendors didn't have time to hassle the passengers, like they usually do, 4) walking through the port area was awful, so full, people were bumping, shoving and pushing you to get through, and last but not least 5), it took over 45 minutes standing in line to get through the port custom check, the line was that long.

I asked a customs person and they explained four ships is usually the norm.

Candie

I was in Nassau in August and there were six ships in port. Several problems, 1) couldn't get a seat on the free shuttle bus to and from the ship to the port entrance, had to walk, 2) long wait for a taxi, there were so many people using them, 3) the port area was so busy that the vendors didn't have time to hassle the passengers, like they usually do, 4) walking through the port area was awful, so full, people were bumping, shoving and pushing you to get through, and last but not least 5), it took over 45 minutes standing in line to get through the port custom check, the line was that long.

I asked a customs person and they explained four ships is usually the norm.

Candie

I would think #3 would be a benefit. ;)

I would think the size of the ships would matter more than the number of ships.  If it were a Carnival Fantasy class ship and the Disney Wonder or Magic, those are easily half the size or even smaller than the Oasis-class.

DocLC,

I don't remember all of the ships but the Majesty OTS, Carnival Fantasy and Elation, Disney Dream, NCL Escape (huge ship), another Royal ship.

The reason I listed the vendors as a problem, you just couldn't get through on the walkways, they were out in front of their booths selling like crazy blocking everything. It's funny but I have never been hassled by any vendors in Nassau. Now in Ocha Rios Jamaica, is was horrible, I actually turned around and went back to the ship. They were in my face, yelling, I remember taking a picture of a woman with a basket of fruit on her head and her coming over with a big guy and telling me I owed them $10 for taking her picture. I told them where they could go and went right back to the ship.

Candie