Anthem Cruise January 2022 Decisions

Va4fam

We have an 11 night Anthem cruise out of Bayonne coming up in January.  Exciting and a little nervous with the variant and all the new changes.  We wear our masks everyday for work and have already been on two cruises this fall, and hoping for no drastic changes.  

Booked a 3 night dining package, the Key, and refreshment package (we are Diamond).   Have Royal excursions planned in 3 of the 5 ports (not San Juan or St. Martin).

With the new protocols released this week, we still intend to go but may revise a few of our plans and would love some feedback:

1>Dropping the Key ($19.95 a person for 11 days adds up and the only real value I see is the internet and the first day Chops lunch.  Seems like the priority seating is not happening right now and we get on the ship at noon anyway so not sure much advantage to getting on board much earlier.   Am I missing something?

2>Excursions.   Is the unrest in St. Martin still an issue?  Does anyone know or think that the new variant will limit our freedom to explore off the ship?   Not sure what to do in San Juan, what suggestions do you have for a non-Royal activity?  

3>Changing cabins.  This cruise was booked back in 2019 and qualifies for double points.  Right now we can change our cabin to a JS for $400 more per person (just 2 of us).  Would that allow us to get the double-double points (11 nights x 2 x 2 for JS for a total of 44 points)?  

Thank you for your help.  Happy Holidays and Safe Travels everyone.

4 hours ago, Va4fam said:

3>Changing cabins.  This cruise was booked back in 2019 and qualifies for double points.  Right now we can change our cabin to a JS for $400 more per person (just 2 of us).  Would that allow us to get the double-double points (11 nights x 2 x 2 for JS for a total of 44 points)?  

You should get the double points if you upgrade as long as it isn't through RoyalUp. It won't change the reservation number if you pay to directly upgrade your room. 

I’m on the Anthem now.

The Key gives me internet so I usually get it if the price is close to just getting internet alone. But you are paying for two(?) and unless you both want your own internet, it’s cheaper to just get one and share. Chops lunch is good. Also, I like dropping off my carry on and not wheeling it around. Boarding is pretty quick and I usually arrive at 1130-1200. Other than that…the Key does not give early seating at the shows. Although it says come to the theater 45 mins pre-show…no. When the doors open they welcome anyone who’s there…with a reservation. The private times for the FlowRider and Rock Climbing Wall are few and meaningless to me. I don’t Flow or Climb.

St. Maartin was on our itinerary. I didn’t venture away from the port, but I didn’t hear anything from anyone who went on excursions if there were any issues regarding protests on the French side. So far, the only restrictions in the six ports we visited were masking and unvaccinated having to book ship excursions in order to disembark. But, especially now, I would not be surprised if things changed. Just got to stay informed. I didn’t do any excursions in San Juan…just walked around near the port area.

As posted above…changing cabins on the same reservation should result in the double points benefit carrying over. 

Thank you @BrianB for your response.   Are all venues on Anthem open?  Is the Music Hall open (who is performing there)?

We would be happy to walk around San Juan if that will be allowed.  Are you saying you had to book a ship excursion to disembark at all ports?

Most likely we will drop the Key for this cruise and just share an internet package between the 2 of us.  I'm on vacation and trying to not be glued to my phone.