Check-in questions and other stuff too

Sooooo . . . tomorrow check-in opens for my first cruise ever!  I'm so excited!!!  

I have some questions about check-in . . . my husband and I are traveling together (same stateroom); when I check in will I get the boarding time for both of us, or do we both need to check in separately? If we both do, can I do it for both of us on my one phone? 

Also, can I start the check in process, get the boarding time locked in, then go back later with all the other stuff (pics of vax cards, etc)? If yes, then there is a non-zero chance that I'll wake up randomly at 3am and see if I can get a boarding time. 

Other random first-timer questions: 
Do we need to take our actual passports when we get off the ship and go on shore excursions, or do we take copies and leave the passport in the safe? 

What do you do with your seapass card while you're at the pool? Leave it in your bag? What do you do with your bag? (i.e. do you just leave it on your chair, or are there lockers, etc)? 

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that if people have iPhones, they can use messaging app without WiFi? 

We don't have the UDP, but if we decide we want to eat at Johnny Rockets, can we just pay an extra charge to eat there? 

And finally, how do I make the next 46 days go faster? 😉

I did my Christmas cruise check in on my phone including attaching my vacination cards. 

We started the check-in process at midnight and received out time and went to bed and came back the next day to complete the outstanding items. Both of you will have the same check in time, if your in the same cabin. I checked in the entire family (2 connecting cabins) with no issues.

1 hour ago, skittermagoo said:

my husband and I are traveling together (same stateroom); when I check in will I get the boarding time for both of us, or do we both need to check in separately? If we both do, can I do it for both of us on my one phone?

During the check-in process you'll pick the boarding times individually. Entering the information during check-in is on a per person basis.

One device can be used to check-in everyone. Just keep in mind the process is one person at a time.

Also, can I start the check in process, get the boarding time locked in, then go back later with all the other stuff (pics of vax cards, etc)?

Yes, using the app the check-in process is broken in to four parts. Travel Info, Arrival time, Vaccination, and Health and Safety.

The Health and Safety part can't be completed until around 24 hours from embarkation. Vaccination is optional.

Do we need to take our actual passports when we get off the ship and go on shore excursions, or do we take copies and leave the passport in the safe?

This is a personally decision on brining the actual passport with you. One argument in favor brining it with you is the thought... Would you accept payment for something with a copy of a hundred dollar bill?

Me personally, I'll normally leave my passport book on-board. However, I do carry my passport card.

What do you do with your seapass card while you're at the pool? Leave it in your bag? What do you do with your bag? (i.e. do you just leave it on your chair, or are there lockers, etc)?

Seapass card is just a plastic card, think hotel key card. No issue if it happens to get wet. Leaving a bag, one again a decision based on one's comfort level. No lockers are available by the pool.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that if people have iPhones, they can use messaging app without WiFi?

This is a hit or miss item. Use to be a glitch where iMessages would work without having active Voom service. You could activate the messaging feature in the app for $1.99 per person, per remaining day of voyage.

We don't have the UDP, but if we decide we want to eat at Johnny Rockets, can we just pay an extra charge to eat there?

Sure, I think the cover charge at Johnny Rockets is $9.95, plus 18% gratuity. This would cover unlimited food and soda, exception would be milkshakes/malts.

All the Unlimited Dining Package provides is access to all the specialty restaurants at a fix priced.

And finally, how do I make the next 46 days go faster? 😉

Learn, learn, learn, and keep asking questions. Watch videos covering various topics. Read up or watch videos for more information about the various ports you might be stopping at.

If you haven't already, read: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/getting-started

is it easier to do the checkin on a computer, or on the app on my phone?

I find using the phone/app to check-in is easier. It allows you to pick an arrival time without having to entering anything.

Thank you so much for this, @CGTLH!  I just happened to be awake at around 12:30 and got our arrival time booked; I'll do the rest today.  (That was the main thing I was concerned about). 

Also, for the second time in about a week, I'm wishing we had gotten passport cards when we did our passports.  I'm not sure if we can get them in time, but I'll know for future travels that it's something very convenient to have!