Antigua, St Maarten, Barbados, St. Kitts

41m33

I'm trying to budget for shore excursions for my family of 5 (kids are 8, 9, 11). We have 6 ports on our itinerary and I'm wondering which ones we can do more affordably on our own (taxi to the beach) and which we should book a tour. Also what are some of the best ones? 

We arrive in San Juan late afternoon so I think we'll just walk off the ship into town, same with Martinique. The islands I'd love some advise on are Antigua, St. Maarten, Barbados and St. Kitts. Can someone make some suggestions?

Antigua: Grab a taxi once off the ship and go to Valley Church beach: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/06/12/excursion-focus-valley-church-beach-antigua

St. Maarten: I recommend also getting a taxi and negotiating a deal for the day.  There are a lot of little things to do, although you could easily just go to Orient Beach and spend the day there.  Marigot offers good shopping and dining, Maho Beach is that beach with all the planes landing super low, and Phillipsburg has more shopping.

Barbados: I recommend a tour.

St. Kitts: I did a train tour, which was certainly unique.  Was not the best excursion I ever did, but if you want a break from beaches, this is a good one: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/05/23/excursion-focus-caribbean-scenic-railway-tour-st-kitts

I've looked into Mayo Beach and think my kids would love to see the planes! Can you make a whole day of it or is there something else to do close by? I've heard Boatyard Beach mentioned in Barbados, any thoughts? My daughter wants to swim with dolphins in St. Kitts but the boys might like the train, it sounds interesting.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I've looked into Maho Beach and think my kids would love to see the planes! Can you make a whole day of it or is there something else to do close by? 

Thanks for the recommendations.

I think it's more of a 1-2 hour activity, but there is a beach so it very well could be a whole day activity.  This may come down to how exciting you and your kids find it after a couple of planes.