Figured I'd share... lesson learned about FCCs

I'm guessing this was more of a "me" problem (total rookie mistake), but you all have been so helpful to me that I thought I'd share my recent near miss with FCC application in case any other newbies would benefit.

So, I carefully budgeted my March 2022 cruise, starting with the total number I owed and subtracting my FCC from my canceled cruises. I then divided the rest by the number of months until final payment and kept up monthly payments. We upgraded to star class so let's just say there was a fair amount left to pay even after a good amount in FCCs, and we could only afford it because I had like two years to pay it off! I waited to apply my FCCs because I was worried about repricing if I had applied them too early.

Long story short, I went to apply them today and found out that I should have subtracted my FCC from the CRUISE FARE only line on the invoice, not the total. FCCs cannot be used for taxes or other fees. When I called RC, they said I was SOL and had already paid off too much to use my full credit. I asked if they could just put the money I paid toward taxes and fees and then use the credit, and they said no. I asked for a partial refund of the money I paid to use the credit, and they said no. Then, my rep put me on hold and escalated it and came back and told me they had "worked it out" and would use my whole FCC and the cash I've paid toward my total balance. Since this seemed like kind of a miracle and not typical policy, I thought I'd post a warning to anyone else trying to obsessively budget using FCCs and cash!

I'm super relieved that I don't have to face my husband and tell him we owe even more money on this cruise, lol. Hope this helps another newbie out there!

Another helpful hint....

If at first you don't succeed, call back and speak to another agent. Sometimes it takes the right agent reaching the right supervisor to get things done. Or...use a good travel agent to do the legwork for you! I have heard many times how Super TAs got things done that us simple mortals can't do! Anyway, congratulations on your result!

12 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Another helpful hint....

If at first you don't succeed, call back and speak to another agent. Sometimes it takes the right agent reaching the right supervisor to get things done. Or...use a good travel agent to do the legwork for you! I have heard many times how Super TAs got things done that us simple mortals can't do! Anyway, congratulations on your result!

Great advice! Also, I saw Anthem March 27 in your future cruise list... that's the one we'll be on! 🙂