Where to buy Euros

fonemanbob

Going to Europe later this week and was wondering where is the best place to get Euros.  We got some here so we have a little until we arrive in Spain for our cruise.  We have heard all kinds of answers from get them here in the U.S. to get them in Europe.  Then not at the airport, at the airport. go to bank ATM etc.     Your thoughts please.  Thank you

You can purchase Euros on board the ship. My guess is that the exchange rate would be less favorable on the ship but you can get them. When we were on a transatlantic a few years ago we went to the bank in London to buy pounds but we had a few days in town before our flight home. Going to a bank during a port of call may take more time out of your day than would want so it may not be practical.

I know most people recommend just using a reliable credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee. Everyone needs a bit of cash though, even if you're using a CC.

Your best option is to use an ATM as that will provide you with the best exchange rate.  If you desire to have them in advanced, AAA has a deal with Wells Fargo and I found this to have the "best" exchange rate.  There is a fee of $10-$15 as they ship the currency directly to your home.  However, you do pay a penalty in the exchange rate for the service (about 8%).

To be honest, having just returned from a European cruise, it was nice to have cash on hand, but I used my credit card for 90% of our purchases.  I have one that doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees, so that's what I did.  Also, check with your bank as many of the major banks offer exchange services to their members at little or no charge.

Whatever you do, do NOT use one of the currency exchange services at the airport.  They will rob you blind in most cases.

You really don't need Euros until you get there. When you decide to get cash, use an ATM at a well known, established bank whether it's in an airport or not.

Just google banks for the country where you are arriving, and get some tide-me-over money there. You can always get more in whatever city center you find yourself in. 

This seems like a high stress thing going in, but rest assured, it's really not. The best exchange rate is with an ATM even considering fees, etc.