Does Royal Recognise AstraZeneca

Hello Community,

This post might be a bit early as many things will change between now and the end of the year. 

Wondering if any TA's have English clients sailing on US Royal cruises who have been vaccinated with AstraZeneca?

I believe at this time the US FDA does not recognise AstraZeneca as an approved Covid vaccine and wonder if Royal Caribbean does?

We are both fully vaccinated with Astra and planning to travel; assuming we can get out of fortress Australia; in January for some us cruises. 

If anyone has heard anything, or is jumping onto a cruise and could ask, that would be really appreciated. Thank you

31 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Hello Community,

This post might be a bit early as many things will change between now and the end of the year. 

Wondering if any TA's have English clients sailing on US Royal cruises who have been vaccinated with AstraZeneca?

I believe at this time the US FDA does not recognise AstraZeneca as an approved Covid vaccine and wonder if Royal Caribbean does?

We are both fully vaccinated with Astra and planning to travel; assuming we can get out of fortress Australia; in January for some us cruises. 

If anyone has heard anything, or is jumping onto a cruise and could ask, that would be really appreciated. Thank you

Im not a TA by any stretch, but Royal says they accept any vaccine approved by national health organizations (they list FDA as an example) as well as mentioning the World Health Organization.  There is a caveat for "certain voyages or countries may require certain vaccines" but I didn't find any specific examples on their website from a quick browse. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-accepted

The FDA hasn't approved AstraZeneca because AstraZeneca never applied for emergency use authorization, so it wasn't a sort of "not approved" or anything like that.  They just can't sign off on a product when the manufacturer never asks them to.  Here we have so much Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J that AstraZeneca focused on other agencies.  The US is currently donating our AstraZeneca vaccines elsewhere.  

The only vaccines Ive seen any long-term weariness for acceptance by nations is the Sputnik vaccine from Russia, and China's vaccine.  

Edited by Plumlee2028
Corrected spelling

This was discussed in another thread since Canada was also using Astra at one time but I'm not sure there is a firm resolution:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/23771-international-vaccination-proof/

The Royal FAQ says they recognize what WHO recognizes but it may vary by departure country or port.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/RTS_FAQs.pdf

I feel like this is an evolving topic because we are in the infancy of the restart.  That's not very definitive but it is what it is.  Cruise planning right now requires a great deal of patience, understanding, flexibility and whiskey.