cozumel vegetarian

Rjh8842

I am concerned of my food options on a shore excursion. Still debating between a 3 and 8 hour excursion. If they do not have food I can eat then I will have to go with the shorter excursion so I can eat on the ship. Any ideas about vegetarian options on these shore excursions? I have heard provide a brown bag lunch but what does that mean for me?

This is a bit difficult to answer as each shore excursion can be an offering by a totally different tour provider.  It'd be best to narrow it down to perhaps two of the longer excursions and two of the shorter excursions, then have your travel agent reach out to Royal Caribbean and find out.  

That in mind, in general I wouldn't be too concerned.  I'm also a vegetarian and have found that Mexican food (traditional and tex-mex) lends itself quite easily to being vegetarian, and the tour companies are catering to a largely American audience, where most sources indicate roughly 3% of the population is vegetarian - so this is nothing new for them.  As an interesting side note, in the US, we're pretty near the bottom when it comes to percentage of the population who don't eat meat. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country#Overview)

The bottom line is that while I don't think it will be an issue, you should reach out to your travel agent or Royal Caribbean once you've narrowed down your choices a bit.

While I completely agree with @monorailmedic about Mexican food being incredibly vegetarian friendly (seriously, I could make a meal out of guac and chips), I've had issues before finding things to eat (In Belize.. where our excursion was selling beef nachos and burgers.. blegh.)... something to consider might be to keep a (SEALED) protein bar/almonds/trail mix/etc. on you just in case (someone check me on this legally)... keep in mind fruit and produce may not be brought off the ship (I had a dog stop me once in Cozumel... in front of my future in laws... who probably thought I had drugs in my bag rather than a banana.)

While I completely agree with @monorailmedic about Mexican food being incredibly vegetarian friendly (seriously, I could make a meal out of guac and chips), I've had issues before finding things to eat (In Belize.. where our excursion was selling beef nachos and burgers.. blegh.)... something to consider might be to keep a (SEALED) protein bar/almonds/trail mix/etc. on you just in case (someone check me on this legally)... keep in mind fruit and produce may not be brought off the ship (I had a dog stop me once in Cozumel... in front of my future in laws... who probably thought I had drugs in my bag rather than a banana.)

If it's unopened, commercially packaged, you should be fine. It's meat and produce that gets you into trouble in most cases.