Question regarding on board spending account

Ian T

We are (hopefully! ?) sailing on Anthem with our sons and their partners in December and I have a question regarding on board spending.

They have their own cabins and we would like to gift each couple an amount toward their respective onboard spending accounts; however we are not sure the best way to go about it... Can we simply pay cash at Guest Services? If so and by some miracle they do not spend it all can they get a cash refund once the voyage is complete?

Alternatively if I link each account to my credit card can I set a maximum spending limit? If yes how do they then arrange to spend their own money (be it either cash or credit) once the limit is reached?

Thanks!

Putting down cash at Guest Services is probably your easiest path.

Another option is to inform them that you intend to pay a portion of their onboard spending and then pay the amount they use or your intended maximum at Guest Services a couple days prior to the end of the cruise (DO NOT wait until the last night as you'll waste time in line that can be better used enjoying the final night of the cruise).

17 minutes ago, Ian T said:

They have their own cabins and we would like to gift each couple an amount toward their respective onboard spending accounts; however we are not sure the best way to go about it... Can we simply pay cash at Guest Services? If so and by some miracle they do not spend it all can they get a cash refund once the voyage is complete?

You could do that.  I am not sure about the refund part as I have not come across that particular situation but money can be applied to an onboard account once on board.  An alternative would to get them a gift certificate.  My sister did this for me once back in 2019.  She was not sailing with us but she knew that all I really wanted (other than to cruise) was a cabana.  So a few months prior to the sailing, she called Royal and purchased a gift certificate for me to use towards the cabana.  She didn't even have my reservation number, they were able to look it up with the information that she could provide.  Once onboard, that money was already applied to my on board account.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You could do that.  I am not sure about the refund part as I have not come across that particular situation but money can be applied to an onboard account once on board.  An alternative would to get them a gift certificate.  My sister did this for me once back in 2019.  She was not sailing with us but she knew that all I really wanted (other than to cruise) was a cabana.  So a few months prior to the sailing, she called Royal and purchased a gift certificate for me to use towards the cabana.  She didn't even have my reservation number, they were able to look it up with the information that she could provide.  Once onboard, that money was already applied to my on board account.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Putting down cash at Guest Services is probably your easiest path.

Another option is to inform them that you intend to pay a portion of their onboard spending and then pay the amount they use or your intended maximum at Guest Services a couple days prior to the end of the cruise (DO NOT wait until the last night as you'll waste time in line that can be better used enjoying the final night of the cruise).

Both great suggestions. Thanks very much! ??