Share Your Unique Onboard Events

I'm curious as to what special events you've encountered while onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise. For instance, I've heard they have a ceremony when a ship passes the equator or passes the international date line.  I've also received a souvenir copy of the New Year's Eve dining room menu when sailing on a New Year's cruise.

The most unique event I've experienced was last year aboard the Brilliance of the Seas as we headed from Norway to Iceland. They had an induction to the "Frostbitten Blue Nose" Society in commemoration of approaching the Arctic Circle.  The event was presided over by the captain and essentially involved getting a ladle of ice water (small, medium, and large) dumped down the back of your shirt, your nose painted blue, and a shot of some type of booze all on the pool deck in the rain. See the attached certificate and pictures.

So what events have you experience that were out of the ordinary?

I have never had any experiences like that. I took a 10 day Pacific Coastal cruise with Princess last year and they gave me a hard copy of the Princess Patter (their daily newsletter), it was about 12 pages and had everything that the Patter had in it, ports, arrival and departure times, with my exact shore excursions listed and what I did on that excursion. I really cherish that because to me it is better than the ship's photos and I sit and read it every few months.

Have had several unique events on cruise ships over the years. I was on one cruise line that went bankrupt during the cruise, it was a river cruise in Europe. The captain and crew dock the ship and said we all have no jobs, sorry and they left the ship or really I should say river barge. Another trip again on a very small ship here in SE Asia, the crew had a disagreement with the local river patrol and it was not a fun time. I been on a couple of first cruises for ships and was given special photos, and cups commemorating the first cruise.

A couple of storms with big waves and very high winds. I was trying to take pictures and the crew was telling me I could not be on deck. But it really was not that bad because of the size of the ship. With the high free board and ocean liner design (QE II) it really handle the weather well.

For my partner Reynaline I am sure her most unique cruise event will be on our next cruise at the end of the month. After five years together I need a better name for our relationship.