Walkie Talikes - Two way Radio in Italy

Hello Everyone,

The family and I were wondering if any one knows the guide lines for using a walkie talkie  [Twoi way radio] In Italy.

We want to be able to use our family two way radios when visiting Italy before getting on the ship in Venice. We have a Motorola two way radio 14 channels - Got them at Costco can they be used while we are visiting the sites in Italy instead of using our cell phones.

Two-way radios can be used but it comes  down to I guess......a respect issue. Phones can be put on vibrate. Those radios pick up a lot of static and can be loud. Imagine the quiet solitude of staring at a work of art....only to be interrupted by someone talking on a radio. I was in Italy in 2017, there wasn't a lot of people talking on phones or devices. Even when you do a tour, you get headphones as not to disturb others. I guess I also don't understand the need when you will be together most of the time...or far away enough that the radios may not pick up properly.

Legally no, those radios work in the FRS frequency range in the US. Over in Europe the frequencies used by FRS are used for other purposes. Over in Europe a different frequency range is used for these type of radios and they would be called PMR446 radios.

Now would they work, sure. But you run the risk of stepping on the toes of the licensed users of that frequency range.