My Time Dining & Specialty Restaurants

Ok, last night, my wife posed a question to me that, quite frankly, I had no idea how to answer...

So.....

I go to the experts, you fine folks here on this board ....

Now, a quick statement ...... My wife's view is, "I'm on vacation so I shouldn't have to abide by a schedule, in other words, reservations are taboo"... She would much rather go with the flow and let the good times "happen".

The question is, Can you take a "My Time Dining" Approach with the Specialty Restaurants?  We will be on a smaller ship (Grandeur) in September, so I don't expect the masses like you would on the larger ships.  I know reservations are recommended, but are they required?  She doesn't want to have to worry about having to stop something she may be enjoying, just because of a reservation ..... to her, reservations are counter-intuitive to the design of the My Time Dining way of thinking.

My first thought to the question was to answer "Yes" --- but you would have to wait in line like a traditional land-based restaurant.

What say you --- my friends and experts in the cruising world.

Thank You In Advance,

Mark

You can and most nights you'll be fine. However, there is a chance that they can fill up and have no openings. It's never happens to me as the restaraunts have never been more then half full when I've dined there, but I have heard of the filling up on rare occasion.

I'd say chance it, unless it's a holiday, as you can always go to the dining room as a back up and try again the next night.

Thanks Doc .....

Works for me ...... When she posed that question ..... I went .... Uhhhhhhh...

I love cruising, but this will be her first, and I want it to be exactly as she wants it to be ..... I know I can't control the weather, but everything else, I'm trying to anticipate pretty much everything .....

With the "Izumi To Go" option that Matt highlighted, (which I hope Grandeur does have since they have an Izumi), I figured, now we don't have to have a reservation there which opened up the door for Chops and Giovanni's Table..... and when I asked her to pick one, her response was, why not both and since we have My Time Dining, "Can't We Just Show Up?" ------  It was a good question that I hadn't anticipated .... Apparently the cover charge doesn't phase her...... I'm fine with that, she handles the family budget so I'll just follow her lead.

On most nights, you can.  You might not get the time you want, but it usually works out.

The exception are holidays and formal nights.  Those are when some specialty restaurants fill up quickly.

Also, the amount of specialty dining contributes to availability. Oasis-class ships have way more options than a Radiance class ship.

I agree with Matt. I waited until the third day of a cruise and wanted a steak so I went to the steakhouse and they had nothing available until 8:30 p.m. Sorry I can't eat a big old steak, tater, veggies, and dessert that late a night. So I made a reservation for night 5 and 6 p.m. was available. The waiter said certain times fill up fast, usually the 6, 6:30, 7 and 7:30 are gone first.

The waiter said certain times fill up fast, usually the 6, 6:30, 7 and 7:30 are gone first.

On our last cruise we had 6pm reservations (on a formal night) and we were one of just a handful of tables for the first hour or so.  Then the place filled right up to capacity until we left around 8:30pm (yeah, service that night was unusually slow - not the norm).

Last September, we decided at the last minute to hit Chops just one more time before going home, on Saturday night. There was just no getting a table, and I don't mean as a "walk up". I mean from Saturday morning they told us nothing available.

Don't say Chops around my wife...  She would eat there every night if I let her...

Well, I think that we'll chance it .... As Matt said in a recent Periscope, DON'T LIVE BY A PLAN!!!  Things are going to happen .... just go with the flow.

We're not going during a holiday, plus, there'll always be a place to get a bite regardless.

Thank You all for the insight.

Mark