Shore Excursions - Nassau

jaredhamburg

Hello, everyone!  My wife, two children (9 and 5) and I will be visiting Nassau from 7AM to 4PM on Enchantment of the Seas in September 2020.  We will have just been at Coco Cay the day before.  What is a good recommendation?  I see some people like and dislike the Blue Lagoon (Matt on this site like the VIP section, but I have heard other people say how it takes forever to get there and back...eating into the fun time of the excursion), but I wonder if the hours we are in port make that amount to less time there than I would want for paying for the excursion.  Also, there is a glass bottom boat tour.  Most of the excursions have age limits not allowing the kids and wanted someone's take.  I am not a risk seeker and do not really like the idea of walking around Nassau on our own.  Any tips, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

PS - We are all fully mobile and are just in it for the fun.

Thanks!

J

Nassau has been described in a derogatory manner by a lot of people...personally, I like Nassau for a place with lots of options if you know where to go. I have been to Atlantis and think it is over rated and too expensive...Blue Lagoon looks ok (I have not been there), but the prices I have seen seem high to me when there are other experiences...here are some ideas...I think you can have a great time there without buying the cruise line's excursions.

Free Beach Day -- Junkanoo Beach -- about a ten minute walk from the pier on the other side of the British Colonial Hilton, just turn right and keep going until you see a public beach. There's a bar and food and it's kind of fun. -- https://goo.gl/maps/KBazN46Cj48q4cuYA

Walk Around Nassau -- here is a google link of a way to go from the pier -- https://goo.gl/maps/XsYwF3wCpxrfCUs2A

• it takes you to the Queen's Staircase which is really beautiful and important to the history of the Bahamas
  • Fort Fincastle
  • back through town
  • it goes near Graycliff Hotel where there is a chocolatier, a restaurant and the possibility of paying for access to the pool -- I think it's $20 -- I'm not sure if there is a drink or food minimum -- https://goo.gl/maps/LnEVBWFeEQ66BnQS9
  • the route will end up around the British Colonial and you can circle back to Bay Street or Woodes Rogers Walk where there are lots of shops, restaurants, bars and the Straw Market if you want that experience. Thee is a brewyery called Pirate Republic that I enjoy as well as a lot of people on this forum

British Colonial Hilton -- you can book a day there on shoreexcursioneer.com where you have access to facilities and it covers part of your drinks and food. It has a really nice pool and beach with a great view of the ships docked in front of you and to the right.

Baha Mar -- you can take a ten minute cab or bus there and get a great beach day just a little west of Nassau, I have not been there, but a lot on this forum have and it gets great reviews.

The links and descriptions other than Baha Mar are things I have done, and I think for what Nassau is, are good options for someone who hasn't been there.

Watch for pick pockets walking around, and people coming up to you to sell you something. While there is a sketchiness to it, there is a nice appeal and atmosphere there that I really like. Within a small footprint, you can find things to look at, good food and the traditional touristy stuff.

The aquarium at Atlantis is really nice though it is a little expensive. ¨Bottle of water was 10.00 last Dec¨ The walking tour is great. Queens staircase and the fort are amazing. Craft market is right there, all ready to deal. Junkanoo Beach is nice and free. Have fun we will be right behind you in December.

On 4/25/2020 at 7:21 AM, DunkelBierJay said:

Nassau has been described in a derogatory manner by a lot of people...personally, I like Nassau for a place with lots of options if you know where to go. I have been to Atlantis and think it is over rated and too expensive...Blue Lagoon looks ok (I have not been there), but the prices I have seen seem high to me when there are other experiences...here are some ideas...I think you can have a great time there without buying the cruise line's excursions.

Free Beach Day -- Junkanoo Beach -- about a ten minute walk from the pier on the other side of the British Colonial Hilton, just turn right and keep going until you see a public beach. There's a bar and food and it's kind of fun. -- https://goo.gl/maps/KBazN46Cj48q4cuYA

Walk Around Nassau -- here is a google link of a way to go from the pier -- https://goo.gl/maps/XsYwF3wCpxrfCUs2A

• it takes you to the Queen's Staircase which is really beautiful and important to the history of the Bahamas
  • Fort Fincastle
  • back through town
  • it goes near Graycliff Hotel where there is a chocolatier, a restaurant and the possibility of paying for access to the pool -- I think it's $20 -- I'm not sure if there is a drink or food minimum -- https://goo.gl/maps/LnEVBWFeEQ66BnQS9
  • the route will end up around the British Colonial and you can circle back to Bay Street or Woodes Rogers Walk where there are lots of shops, restaurants, bars and the Straw Market if you want that experience. Thee is a brewyery called Pirate Republic that I enjoy as well as a lot of people on this forum

British Colonial Hilton -- you can book a day there on shoreexcursioneer.com where you have access to facilities and it covers part of your drinks and food. It has a really nice pool and beach with a great view of the ships docked in front of you and to the right.

Baha Mar -- you can take a ten minute cab or bus there and get a great beach day just a little west of Nassau, I have not been there, but a lot on this forum have and it gets great reviews.

The links and descriptions other than Baha Mar are things I have done, and I think for what Nassau is, are good options for someone who hasn't been there.

Watch for pick pockets walking around, and people coming up to you to sell you something. While there is a sketchiness to it, there is a nice appeal and atmosphere there that I really like. Within a small footprint, you can find things to look at, good food and the traditional touristy stuff.

Thanks!  The British Colonial Hilton sounds nice because we do not have to wait for ferry/boat rides.  Plus, my kids are super please to just have water and sand.  Matt's review on this site made it look pretty good.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, ehw51 said:

The aquarium at Atlantis is really nice though it is a little expensive. ¨Bottle of water was 10.00 last Dec¨ The walking tour is great. Queens staircase and the fort are amazing. Craft market is right there, all ready to deal. Junkanoo Beach is nice and free. Have fun we will be right behind you in December.

Hi!  Was the walking tour through Royal Caribbean or a different company?

Thanks!

J