F1guynz

Message from Head of Carnival Australia but Applicable to all Cruise Lines

40 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I thought there were situations where the ship was required to advise the port of onboard illness.  I can’t remember the actual percentages, but I do believe that if there are X percentage of guests and/or crew suffering from flu-like symptoms, the ship must alert the port prior to entering.  I know this has been the case for norovirus in the past.

There are CDC reporting requirements for US based cruises that list specific rates of infection. 

I'm not sure there are mandatory reporting requirements for any given port.  Having said that when a ship approaches a port to request entry the port can inquire about illness on board.  In the past that likely wasn't done very often for many ports of call but I imagine in the current environment it's one of the first questions asked when a ship makes initial contact upon arrival.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

There are CDC reporting requirements for US based cruises that list specific rates of infection. 

I'm not sure there are mandatory reporting requirements for any given port.  Having said that when a ship approaches a port to request entry the port can inquire about illness on board.  In the past that likely wasn't done very often for many ports of call but I imagine in the current environment it's one of the first questions asked when a ship makes initial contact upon arrival.

And I'm guessing this might be one of the permanent changes going forward.

11 minutes ago, FManke said:

And I'm guessing this might be one of the permanent changes going forward.

That would be for each country to formulate and create a policy to report.  Some might adopt US CDC reporting requirements, some might stick to simply asking the question.  Keep in mind for every cruise ship there are hundreds of merchant vessels visiting any given country.  Most laws are written to address the shipping industry in general terms, not specific to cruise ships.

I imagine once the world is well past this particular virus that many ports will relax and stop asking the question at first contact.  Think 3, 5 or 10 years from now.  I'm not certain it will be permanent.

I personally do not see cruising taking off again much until a cure is found. It will take just 1 passenger coming down with covid on 1 ship to stall the entire industry.  Many countries will not be opening ports for a long time and any ship that does announce an inflection will be stuck at sea with governments and the public screaming how stupid people are for going back on a cruise ship.

We have a cruise to NZ in January and even though Delta has some great prices on flights to SYD, we are holding off because I just can't see AUS or NZ opening up until covid is cured.

Just my 2c.

1 hour ago, Scrumps said:

I personally do not see cruising taking off again much until a cure is found.

I don't know if a full-blown cure needs to be found, more that enough of the world's population has been exposed and recovered that we reach the level of "herd immunity" in all the countries a cruise itinerary would visit. How do we know that we've hit that point? When the number of new confirmed cases has steadily decreased for whatever period of time is necessary that we reach a floor instead of a plateau, and easing of shelter-in-place restrictions doesn't cause that number to go back up. That tells us enough of the population in a region is now immune that casual spread of the disease is going to be massively curtailed.

In Hong Kong and some other Asian nations that thought they were past the worst and eased their restrictions, they now have a second surge happening. So clearly they're not at that level yet and are now going through a fresh round of hell. Just saw the NY governor's latest update, where he called that out and very sternly told New Yorkers to keep the frick inside their homes and stop going to the parks and other places where they're doing anything but social distancing. And NY hasn't even conclusively hit a plateau yet with new infections. 😞 

Carnival are saying they were cleared by authorities to dock in Sydney after reporting the numbers of sick they had on board. NSW Health then boarded the ship and cleared it to leave on that final cruise. It then returned early as they again had a large number of sick on board, and no way to test for COVID. Authorities again cleared them to dock after reporting numbers of sick that they had on board and passengers were allowed to leave.

A lot of heat on the cruise line but sounds like the NSW government has a part to play in this as well.

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I don't know if a full-blown cure needs to be found, more that enough of the world's population has been exposed and recovered that we reach the level of "herd immunity" in all the countries a cruise itinerary would visit. How do we know that we've hit that point? When the number of new confirmed cases has steadily decreased for whatever period of time is necessary that we reach a floor instead of a plateau, and easing of shelter-in-place restrictions doesn't cause that number to go back up. That tells us enough of the population in a region is now immune that casual spread of the disease is going to be massively curtailed.

In Hong Kong and some other Asian nations that thought they were past the worst and eased their restrictions, they now have a second surge happening. So clearly they're not at that level yet and are now going through a fresh round of hell. Just saw the NY governor's latest update, where he called that out and very sternly told New Yorkers to keep the frick inside their homes and stop going to the parks and other places where they're doing anything but social distancing. And NY hasn't even conclusively hit a plateau yet with new infections. 😞 

We aren’t sure if herd immunity will work on Covid-19 or if it does what percentage of the population must have it.Sometimes it can be low as 40% or as high as around 90%. We need a vaccine to have a safe way to take advantage herd immunity. 

Also people would need to actually take a vaccine but now people suddenly don’t like to do that. Which is why measles... MEASLES!!! pop up in communities. 

I personally don’t see NZ opening its borders this year without minimum isolation periods being enforced. We have already been advised that border controls will remain in place for some time. Air New Zealand is laying off 30% of workforce as an expectation that in 12 months time there will not be very much International travel from NZ and that it will mainly be a domestic airline.

Countries around the world will be at different levels of containment and we can’t risk a new outbreak being imported again once we control it.

Now that P&O Australia has been forced from their Sydney home port they are heading to the Philippines and Indonesia to bring their crew home.

A nice gesture by them.

http://crew-center.com/po-australia-fleet-sailing-philippines-and-indonesia?fbclid=IwAR1TZkVvJSDaaIZNhM_CCfYX24YJ9guTITub2zJNwHOQ8cI5nH5lqquqOkc

One thing that might open cruising sooner is those instant test result kits.  I was watching a segment on what they did in Taiwan and how they were testing people as they got off the aircraft...   Since these tests can get results in 15 mins, imagine everyone checking in having to be tested, then having to wait the 15 minutes for the results before they are allowed to board. Do that for every port of call for everyone. Yes, delays things, but might be a temporary solution.  I am sure it will not be long before those tests are down to a minute or less.

1 hour ago, Scrumps said:

One thing that might open cruising sooner is those instant test result kits.  I was watching a segment on what they did in Taiwan and how they were testing people as they got off the aircraft...   Since these tests can get results in 15 mins, imagine everyone checking in having to be tested, then having to wait the 15 minutes for the results before they are allowed to board. Do that for every port of call for everyone. Yes, delays things, but might be a temporary solution.  I am sure it will not be long before those tests are down to a minute or less.

I completely agree with you. I believe this is how it will go, for a while.

The criminal investigation is because the border force / port authority /health dept are all blaming each other for disembarking passengers without screening or enforced isolation.. as far as I can see the ship followed all protocols informing authorities of a number of sick passengers on board before being given permission to dock....as a result of a monumental stuff up by [who knows] there have been multiple deaths/cross infections  from covid19 that could have had a better outcome ....the criminal investigation will be for a coroners inquest into these deaths.....the poor crew are still on board being questioned as well as being in danger of further disease..its a shambles at least some lovely people from Woolongong where it is docked have sent care packages onboard for them so they can at least feel the Easter spirit and know not all of us Aussies are against them

12 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

This does not make pleasant reading I'm afraid. There's a lot of animosity towards cruise lines out there, not totally unjustified.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-13/coronavirus-spells-the-end-of-the-line-for-cruise-ships/12141140

This is why, although some cruises may start later this year, I believe my NZ cruise in January is not going to happen. I really can't see NZ opening up their ports for the 2020/21 season.

I agree Scrumps. The chances of NZ opening up ti's ports to any cruise ship this coming season (Aug 20/ April 21) is small to non existent. I think the Pacific Islands are likely to be the same situation (Or at least I hope they are, COVID-19 going through somewhere like Tonga, Samoa or Fiji would be devastating. We already saw what could happen with measles in Samoa last year). Until there is a test that comes hack instantly that shows you have either had it or haven't got it I can't see a lot of ports around the world allowing ships in. 

Things starting to look very good here in Australia. Some states begin lifting restrictions. Less than 20 new cases per day. Perhaps the 2020/21 season is possible after all, even if there are some changes to itineraries.

17 hours ago, mattymay said:

Things starting to look very good here in Australia. Some states begin lifting restrictions. Less than 20 new cases per day. Perhaps the 2020/21 season is possible after all, even if there are some changes to itineraries.

I'm not so positive. Our success is due in large part to our geographical isolation and shutting down the borders. Following the debacles with Ruby Princess in Sydney and the Artania in Freo, I can't see the authorities being too keen to open up cruising in a hurry.