Disembarkation in Miami - Change in Flights

I just got informed of a flight change on disembarkation day in Miami.  We are flying out of Miami airport.

The new flights leave us with a 6+ hr layover and we get home pretty close to midnight now making for a very long
travel day with kids.  It doesn't sound like an enjoyable of a way to end our vacation.

There is a 1020am flight and our ship says it arrives at 6am --- is that enough time you think to get off the ship and to the Miami Airport?

We do have TSA precheck, will be in a Suite which I think has a more 'direct' line at Customs and can take our own luggage.

Is it crazy to expect to make that 1020am flight?  Seems like the Miami Airport is < 10 miles away from the port.  
Or should we just plan on the 14hr travel day to end the vacation with a later flight?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....TIA.

You might be okay. There are a whole lot of variable that can mess this up.  This question is asked many times on the forums, many will say you will absolutely make that flight, others will say stick with the later ones. Here is some of my observations from our cruise last month.

We just disembarked from Miami. We were in a suite but did not get a "direct" line at customs. This was on Navigator so I dont know if there are differences with the suites program on other ships. When we sailed in a suite on Anthem, our suite concierge walked us directly to a customs agent, with Navigator, she brought us to the gangway and said have a great trip home.

What I can reccomend fully though is if you want to try to make that early flight, a passport is a must. We had passports and were through customs in less than 15 minutes. If the facial recognition works, it will be even faster. Since you mentioned you were traveling with kids, plan on it not working. That was our issue, it did not recognize our kids, nor did it recognize the kids in any of the families I saw that tried to use it. 

The line for Birth Certificates etc was HOURS long when we got off at around 8:45. If you dont have passports, I would reccomend being ready to self carry luggage, and make sure you are off the ship as soon as they allow guests to disembark. 

Agree with emsfg02. From my on experience though, As long as ship is cleared in usual time you should be off and cleared through customs by 8:15 if you have passports. Taxi is 30 minutes. If all goes well you should make it. Personally on three trips we were at airport by 9:00 each time. Taxi access was easy. BUT, key is if all goes normal. Tough call. Other option is check flights out of FLL.  Personally  I would go for it, but then again....

I will second emsff02 said about suites priority disembarkation.  I have been continually disappointed in suites’ treatment in Miami.  When asked if there was a suites priority line the answer was “No.  suites are treated like everyone else”.  So don’t expect any kind of priority for CBP in Miami.

Having said that, I think a 10:20 AM flight out of MIA is doable but I would recommend doing self embarkation if you choose to try that.